[MR] Wikipedia: Mary Rose Redux

Garth Groff via Atlantia atlantia at seahorse.atlantia.sca.org
Tue Jul 19 01:18:48 PDT 2016

Noble Friends,

Historical anniversaries have a persistent habit of repeating themselves
every year. To avoid boring you all to tears, I strive to find new
things to share through this board. Today, however, is an anniversary I
could hardly overlook even though I've posted on this topic before.

Today in 1545, the English warship Mary Rose sunk in Solent while
sailing out to repel a French invasion of England. The ship went down in
shallow water, drowning most of her crew thanks to anti-boarding nets
that trapped them on the weather decks. The shipwreck was well known,
and several attempts were made to raise her, scavenge artifacts, or
simply blow the hulk to pieces as a hazard to navigation. Silted over,
the remains of the ship were finally given proper archaeological
attention in 1971, and a large intact section of the hull was raised in
1981. Today what's left of the ship and many of her artifacts are on
display in the Mary Rose Museum in Portsmouth. The Mary Rose and her
treasures have proven to be an historical time capsule, and continue to
fascinate historians, the general public, and of course re-enactors like us.

Here is a brief history of the ship: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Rose

For the artifact and history section of the official Mary Rose web site,
go here: http://www.maryrose.org/discover-our-collection/

Yours Aye,

Lord Mungo Napier, That Crazy Scot