[MR] Wikipedia: Declaration of Arbroath

Garth Groff via Atlantia atlantia at seahorse.atlantia.sca.org
Wed Apr 6 01:59:58 PDT 2016

Noble Friends, Especially Fellow Scots,

Today, 6 April is Tartan Day in the United States. It is a day to
celebrate all-things Scottish by the 15 million or so Americans who can
claim Scots descent. Today I am wearing my modern Napier kilt to work,
and will politely ignore all the jibes about what is worn under a kilt.
In my case nothing is worn; it is all in perfect working order.

On a more serious note, Tartan Day coincides with the anniversary of the
signing of the Declaration of Arbroath, often considered the Scottish
Declaration of Independece. The Declaration was a 1320 letter to Pope
John XXII, sealed by 51 Scottish nobles, asking for recognition of
Scotland as independent of England. It further declares the legitimacy
of Robert the Bruce as King. The document concludes with these stirring
words (modern translation; the original is in Latin):

" ...for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on
any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for
glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom -–
for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

You can read more about this important document at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Declaration_of_Arbroath .

Sadly, some 400 years later the Scottish Parliament agreed to union with
England after the impoverished lords were bribed by the English. The Act
of Union happened in 1707, and was intended to preempt the Stuarts from
being invited back to rule Scotland upon the pending death of Queen
Anne. That's beyond our time though.

Yours Aye,

Lord Mungo Napier, That Crazy Scot