[MR] Harvington Hall and Priest Holes

Garth Groff via Atlantia atlantia at seahorse.atlantia.sca.org
Fri Aug 14 02:28:56 PDT 2015

Noble Friends,

While exploring the BBC's history pages, I ran across mention of
Harvington Hall and its famous priest holes. This mansion was owned by a
staunch Catholic family during the Tudor period, and featured seven
secret rooms or passages to allow visiting priests to hide if the house
was raided by the crown's agents. One of these priest holes was filled
with low-value "treasure" designed to distract searchers from a further
secret panel behind which the priest would actually be hidden. Very
cleaver! I don't know if the priest hole count includes the secret
compartment in the floor of the family chapel where ritual articles for
the mass were hidden.

Here is the Wikipedia page on Harvington Hall:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvington_Hall

In addition, there are a number of interesting pages about Harvington
Hall which include additional photos and facts:
http://www.harvingtonhall.com/ ;
https://tudorstuff.wordpress.com/harvington-hall/ and
http://britainexplorer.com/articles/item/192-harvington-hall-priest-holes-and-hides
. There is even a YouTube film: