[MR] Novice Toruney and Challenge of the Heart

Amy amyv1066 at yahoo.com
Fri May 22 12:14:30 PDT 2009

Unto Fair Atlantia does Lady Victoria Fitzgerald send greetings!  I know many are focussed on the festivities at Sapphire Joust this weekend, but I hope that you will all look past the weekend to join the Baronies of Storvik and Dun Carraig at our joint event, Novice Tourney and Challenge of the Heart.  We have an entire weekend of martial and artistic activities planned in celebration of friendship and camaraderie.
Martial Activities: The weekend will start with a Torchlight Tourneyon Friday night.  The format will be decided based on the
number of entrants.  On Saturday morning,
we will have authorizationsfor both
novices and experienced fighters.  This
is traditionally a popular event to authorize at, so please arrive early to
make sure we can get to everyone before the day’s tourneys start.
Novice Tourney- This tournament will be exclusively for
combatants who have been authorized in any form of heavy combat for less than
one year.  We encourage all entrants to
preregister and send us an electronic version of their heraldry, so we can make
personalized banners to display around the field.  If an entrant does not have heraldry, we will
provide an alternate type of banner with the entrant’s name, but only for
pregistered fighters.
Challenge of the Heart–A
pas d’armes style tournament will be held. As tenans of the Chivalric virtues,
the Knights will hold the field with various weapons forms against all comers.
Fighters will have the option of using weapons of war or peace. In conjunction
with the Pas, a Ladies Gallery will be held and welcomes all women to its
humble offering of hospitality, friends, and partaking in the spectacle of
noble fights during the Pas.
Northern Regional War Practice – War practice will be held on Sunday from
10am until 2pm.  Please join us in melees
and training to enhance our fighting at Pennsic.
Rapier and Youth Combat– Details to be announced.
Raffle for Kingdom Travel Fund – We will be supporting the Kingdom Travel
Fund by raffling off private lessons with some of Atlantia’s knights.  This is a perfect opportunity for novices and
seasoned fighters to pick up either a new weapon form or tips on how to
increase their skill.
Arts and Sciences: There
are a number of different Arts & Sciences competitions and exhibitions
planned for the day.
Novice - This competition is open to anyone who has been
practicing an art for one year or less.  Any item is welcome and
documentation is optional, but  is encouraged.   True
novices only please.  Judging will be based on popular vote with
Royals, Landed Baronage, and Peers receiving extra tokens with which to
vote.
 Challenge of the Heart– “The 7 Virtues:”  Entries in this competition should relate in
some way to the following seven virtues; Humility, Largess, Honor, Prowess,
Faith, Temperance, and Courage.  Documentation is required, though it
need not be extensive.   Judging will be based on the standard
Atlantian Judging forms.
 Combo A&S - One entry in a craft
you have been learning for less than one year in honor of the Novice Tourney;
and one separate piece that should deal in some way with one or more of the
Seven Virtues, for The Challenge of the Heart Tourney. Entrants must submit
entries in both categories, and they must be separate entries. Documentation
for both entries is heavily encouraged, and will only help your score. Within
this competition, the next Arts and Sciences Champion for The Barony of Dun
Carraig will be chosen
Poeta Atlantiae– Poeta Atlantiae will be sponsoring a
contest for novice poets  to encourage
those new to the art. Most of us have written poetry at some point in our lives,
even if only upon threat of failing English Lit. So please feel free to
consider yourself a novice if you have *practiced* the art of poetry for less
than a year. If you've only ever done poetry because it was required, or your
last voluntary efforts were during your "bohemian phase" in high
school *coughcough* years ago, please consider yourself a novice and enter.
Brewing– Baronial Brewer and Novice
competitions.  Categories include
Mead/Wine, Beer, Cordials, and Non-Alcoholics.  Please contact Lord Gormr (gornovaul at comcast.net) for more details.
Artisans Row – An Artisans Row is being organized by
Mistress Mathilde Bourette.  Please
contact her at mathilde at mathildegirlgenius.com.
Relay for Life Fundraiser - As this is a day that honors chivalry and
beauty, what better than to have a competition for the best favor?  The
favor may be in any medium and does not require documentation (though that would
be nice!).  The winner will be determined by the populace by placing $1.00
in a bowl placed next to their preferred favor.  The proceeds from this
will be donated to the American Cancer Society's Relay for Life of Calvert
County.  The competition is being sponsored by Minowara Kiritsubo-no-Ason,
OL, OP.
Merchanting Information:We have plenty of shady space close to the
tourney fields for merchant booths. Please let us know ahead of time if you
will be coming, so we may plan accordingly. There will be no merchant fees, but
all merchants will be expected to pay the regular site fee. Please contact the
Autocrat to reserve space.
Feast Information:A delightful feast is being prepared by
Lady Tirzah MacCrudden and Baroness Gracia Esperanca de
Sevilla. Highlights will include a full pig, stuffed Cornish hens and
pistachio cream as some of the highlights.  Dancing will be held after the feast.
Bardic:  We
will be having at least one bardic circle on Saturday night, after the feast.
Cost:
Adult, Member: $8 Day-Trip, $7 Feast, $5 Camping
Adult, Non-Member: $11 Day-Trip, $7 Feast, $5 Camping
Child (0-18): $3 Day-Trip, $7 Feast, $0 Camping
Make
Checks Payable To: Barony of Storvik, SCA, Inc.  A $1 discount is given for pregistrations
received before June 5, 2009.  Please reserve early to guarantee a feast
seat.
Websites:  More
information can be found at both www.duncarraig.netand storvik.atlantia.sca.org
Site:Patuxent River Park
16000 Croom Airport Road
Upper Marlboro, MD 20772
Site Restrictions:Ground fires and grills are permitted in
designated areas only. Pets welcome on leashes per State Law. Owners are
responsible for controlling and cleaning up after their pets. The site is wet.
Autocrat's Information:Victoria Fitzgerald (Amy Lindsey), 10549
Saint Paul St, Kensington, MD 20895, Phone: (301) 379-6216, E-mail: amyv1066 at gmail.com
Reservations:Lady Tirzah MacCrudden (Evelyn Brady) 9006
Simpson Ln, Clinton, MD 20735 (703) 966-0787 - no calls after 9:00 pm
Directions:From The Capital Beltway, 495 either direction.
EXIT 11A toward UPPER MARLBORO.
Take the OLD CRAIN HWY ramp.
Take the ramp toward US-301/ WALDORF.
Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto OLD CRAIN HWY.
Turn LEFT onto CROOM STATION RD.
Turn LEFT onto CROOM RD/ MD-382.
Turn LEFT onto CROOM AIRPORT RD.
End at 16000 Croom Airport Rd Upper Marlboro, MD 20772-8395