[MR] Book of interest to Scadians

Garth G. Groff ggg9y at virginia.edu
Wed Aug 12 09:54:22 PDT 2009

Friends,

Just cataloged for the UVA libraries: THE SIEGE OF JERUSALEM, CRUSADE
AND CONQUEST IN 1099 by Conor Kostick (ISBN 9781847252319; our call
number ALDERMAN D161.2 .K67 2009). This is a very well written book for
general history lovers, and has a special value for builders of war
engines, which figured prominently in both the offense and defense of
Jerusalem. In addition to the assault on the city, it also covers the
long trek and battles such as Antioch. I read the chapter on the first
day of the siege (when I should have been cataloging other books), and
found it as enjoyable as a novel, despite having no conversations.
Twelve pages of color plates include various maps of the city and
surrounding areas, plus computer-generated views of the various siege
machines.

Kind regards,

Mungo Napier, Unofficial Shire of Isenfir Librarian
(mka Garth Groff, UVA Libraries cataloger