[MR] Atlantia's rapier forces have shown their worth

Aedan Aylwyn aedan at mindspring.com
Sat Aug 8 17:15:29 PDT 2009

Everyone,

Pennsic has come and gone and news of great deeds already begin to flow.  I
pray you pay heed to these words and know what some among you have done for
our Kingdom...

Sunday saw both Opening Ceremonies and the Rapier Champion's Battle.  Allied
with the East Kingdom for the beginning of the war, Atlantia received two of
the ten Allied slots.  Putting forth two of our best fighters, Connor and
Dominyk handily defeated their foes, taking only a few passes each to gain
victory.  Perhaps the East wished they had relied on more of our fighters
for they lost the overall battle by a score of 16 to 14.

Monday afternoon was the next rapier war point which was the open field
battle.  At over fifty fighters, we were fully a third of the EK's army.  I
had the great honor to lead Atlantia's rapier forces into battle, counting
both HRM Logan and HRH Vladimir amongst the fighters that day. Gathering our
army together before battle, I pointed out to them the examples already set.
There had been three rapier tourneys at that point, all three of which had
either been won cleanly by an Atlantian or had an Atlantian tie for first
place.  Our armored fighters didn't just hold the northern bridge but broke
through into the Middle's backfield on two of the three bridge battles.

With that in mind, I told our forces that we were 150 to the Middle's 180
but that I knew we would prevail.  At the gun's crack for lay one, our
forces charged powerfully across the field, leaving even our own allies of
the East to try to catch up.  Protected on our left flank by our good
friends from Ansteorra, Atenveldt, West and An Tir, we went through
Aethelmarc without pause, turning to savage the core of the Midrealm army.
By the time the dust settled, we were still a strong force but with no one
to stand against us.  After that first victory, we reassembled on the
opposite of the field and proceeded to show everyone that not only was the
prior battle not a fluke, but that we could do even better.  Again, Atlantia
led the way in pinning down the Midrealm's forces while leading flanking
units to tear them open and lay waste to their troops.  With two such
sweeping victories, we retired for the day.

The Atlantian Free Scholar tourney again proved to be a favorite amongst the
fighters of the Known World, raising over $800 for the Susan B. Komen
Foundation.  Again, an Atlantian won with Dominyk taking the victor's prize.

The 5 Man melee tourney on Wed had 36 teams for a record 180 fighters
competing.  An Atlantian team made it to the finals but was defeated by a
similarly skilled team of fighters from the West and An Tir.

Thursday saw the rapier woods battle.  This time we were allied with all of
the other kingdoms facing the Middle and East.  Again our forces included
HRH Vladimir, tired as he was from the armored woods battle earlier that
morning.  Atlantia handily held the right flank and flag and assisted the
forces contesting over the middle flag as well.

I know I've missed some details for there was much to see and admire.  I
thank TRM Logan and Esa for the honor and joy of acting as Warlord for such
an amazing rapier force.  Both TRM and TRH did much to support and inspire
our troops and everyone made me proud with their ferocity and prowess.

In joyful service,

Aedan