[MR] Dog Emergency - OT

Barbara Reed suchawoman at gmail.com
Sun Aug 9 14:40:50 PDT 2009

Just a quick note about dog rescues.  I founded and ran a Golden Retriever
Rescue for many years in the Philadelphia area.  Most rescues (as I can't
speak for all of them) cannot/will not take a dog that has bitten,
regardless of circumstances.  It places the rescue agency at a huge risk for
liability.  Our insurance company would have drop us, if we took in a dog
that we knew had bitten.  It seems that even if the rescue fully discloses
the biting information to the new family, they are still liable should that
dog bite again.  We did, on occasion, make exceptions for dogs that were
food aggressive, or aggressive with other animals, but we could never take a
dog that bit a person.  Once they have crossed the line and bit a human, it
makes them unpredictable.  If the dog is turned in to a shelter, aspca, etc,
if they know he's bitten, they will euthanize immediately.  It's
unfortunate, for sometimes it's not the dog's fault...but we had to weigh
the benefits of being able to stay open to save hundreds of other dogs, or
risk taking 1 in that has bitten.

Anyway, more information than I'm sure you wanted, but that's my two cents.

In service,
Baroness Bianca the Inquisitive