[MR] news of King Richard of England

Karen Setze brunosharpy at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 15 10:03:47 PDT 2009

Citizens of Atlantia:

>From my friend in the English court, I, Lady Yseulte Trevelyn, of Bright Hills, have received further news of King Richard the Lionheart’s journey home from the late Crusade. The news has given his mother, Queen Eleanor, renewed hope of the imminent return of her son, and reduced her concerns that her duties as his regent would prevent her from visiting Baroness Martelle von Charlottenburg at the royal castle of Nottingham during October to watch the tournaments and sample the skills of the barony’s famed cooks and artisans.

But rather than try to tell you myself, allow me to share the most recent letter on the subject received by Queen Eleanor.

To Her most reknowned  Majesty, Eleanor, Queen of England, Duchess of Aquitaine and Poitou, etc., do the Honorable Council and Syndics of the Free Republic of Ragurssa send respectful greetings.

Madam, we have the honor to inform you that your most noble and royal son, Richard, King of England, and a party of pilgrims returning from the Holy Land by sea, being beset by tempest, were preserved by the mercy of the Saints and deposited upon our shores on November 14, the feast of St. Philip the Apostle, in great want and distress, which it was our honor to relieve.

Whereupon, in gratitude for our efforts, His Majesty made a donation of 50,000 gold ducats for the construction of a cathedral, with a promise of as much again upon arrival in his own domain, which contribution we have not yet received, nor had word of.

If therefore, your Majesty would be so gracious as to remind His Majesty of his pledge to the Saints, most especially St. Philip, and to us, or remit to us in his name the sum promised, we would be forever grateful.

Given at Ragussa, on the feast of St. John the Apostle in the Year of our Lord, 1192.