[MR] Fwd: Ren Faire Cavalry Info Packet

Denmark2Vikings at aol.com Denmark2Vikings at aol.com
Thu Sep 9 08:34:52 PDT 2004

I have been requested to repost this for all to see on the  Renaissance Horse
Fair.

Renaissance  Horse Faire       Cavalry Information Packet     September
25th, 2004
The  Barony of Nottinghill Coill will be participating with the
Union County  Horsemen’s
Association at their Renaissance Horse Faire as a demo for the  Barony. The
Faire is a tack/flea
market/yard sale and will also include  horses that are for sale. The site is
a small fairgrounds with
lots of  trailer parking and a large arena for us to play the mounted SCA
games in.  The Faire will
run from 9 am to 4 pm, rain or shine. The Nottinghill Coill  Cavalry will
play the SCA mounted
games between 10 am and 11 am and  again between 2 pm and 3 pm.
The Faire will be in  personnae, which means that you play your
personnae during the time  that
you are on the Fairgrounds. Never done that? Easy!! :)  Just be  your
personnae at a village fair.
Speak to people as if you were in the  Renaissance time period, even if they
are in modern
clothing. No fake  accents necessary. (well, if you were really in period,
you wouldn’t be  speaking
in a fake accent) Of course we want to promote our “realm” and so  will have
a Hospitality table
set up in the Arts and Sciences area for  the Chatelains of our local groups
to pass out flyers and
explain about  how much fun the SCA is.
Breakfast and lunch are  available on the Fairgrounds from the
consession merchants  (funnel
cakes, corn dogs...the usual) You can bring all of your old,  unused,
unwanted tack and horse stuff
to sell at the Faire. You can  also bring nonhorse items for sale, so clean
out the attic, garage  and
back room! We will have an SCA merchant available that will sell our  flea
stuff so that you don’t
have to sit at a table all day. For  information about our tack table, please
find Lady Ursala de
Nunez  before 9 am. (864-306-9206)
We will be setting up the  equipment at the site Friday afternoon. If
you would like to set up  a
pavilion, please let Baroness Beatrice von Staufen know. We have to have
everything set up and
ready to go by 9 am Saturday morning.   Breakdown of equipment, pavilions,
etc. will happen
right after the  Faire closes at 4 pm. Please make sure to keep mundanities
to a minimum,  bring
banners, etc. to decorate and make sure that you and your horse are
decorated. We will have the
equipment out for the quintain, heads,  rings, pigs and reeds. Please bring
your own lances if you
have them.  There will also be loaner lances available. As this is a demo,
the games  will all be
ridden at a canter. Riders not currently authorized at a canter  may ride at
the demo with advance
permission from the Marshal of the  Horse. Horses will have to be tied to
trailers at the
fairgrounds so  please make sure that you bring buckets for water and hay for
the day.  Horses
must have a current negative Coggins test to participate in the demo  and to
stay at Elaine’s farm.
The stabling is  located at Elaine Hobb’s farm. Stalls are $5.00 per
night plus $5.00 per  bag of
shavings (at least one bag is required) payable to Elaine Hobb. All  is self
care so bring your own
feed, hay, buckets and remember to keep  your stall clean. Elaine has a
manure cart and apple
pickers.  Reservations can be made through Baroness Beatrice von  Staufen
(baronessbeatrice at hotmail.com or 803 593-6512). There will be a  cookout at
Elaine’s Friday
evening after the equipment is set up at the  Fairground. Please give a
headcount of people that
will be coming to  the cookout when you make your stall reservation. Please
make  sure
reservations are made by September 23rd.
Camping is also available at Elaine’s.  Primitive camping is free and
camping with a hook up
to water/electric is $5.00 per night per site  (no limit on people per site)
There is a full bathroom
in the tack  room with a shower that has hot water that everyone is welcome
to use.  Elaine’s farm
is a wet site.
After the Faire  is over, anyone who is interested in eating supper
before heading home  is
welcome to join us all at a local restaurant (location to be announced  later
by Elaine). There are a
couple of hotels in Union:
Days Inn   864-427-0308
Best Value Inn and Suites     864- 427-5060
Address  of Union County Fairgrounds: 120 Kirby St., Union, SC
Directions from  Charlotte, NC
>From I-85 in Charlotte, take I-77  south about 12 miles,  then take the
CAROWINDS BLVD exit
to cut over to Hwy 49  > NOTE  > (((YOU WILL SEE AN EXIT for  Hwy 49 BEFORE
YOU
GET TO   THE CAROWINDS EXIT. DO NOT TAKE IT, EVEN THOUGH  Hwy 49 IS
WHERE YOU  ULTIMATELY WANT TO BE. BY GOING  DOWN FURTHER AND
TAKING CAROWINDS  OVER TO IT, YOU CUT OFF A LOT OF CONGESTED
TRAVEL.)))  Take Carowinds  West to a major intersection with traffic light
where you will  turn
left onto Tryon Blvd (or street). That is also Hwy 49. This will  become a
back-country rural road
and will take you thru a few small  towns - York, Sharon, Lockhart and on
into Union. In Union,
carefully  follow the Hwy#49 signs thru town to the intersection with Hwy#176

(4-lane). Turn
right, watch for Fairgrounds on right. At next  intersection traffic light,
turn right onto Old
Buffalo Road. Entrance  to Fairgrounds is second right.
Physical Address for stabling:    Elaine Hobbs, 167 Austin Rd, Union, SC
29379
864-426-3638
Directions to Farm from Columbia:

Take  I-26 west from Columbia. When you get to the west side of Newberry,
take the
Union/Whitmire exit toward Union (Right at top of ramp). Go about  30 miles.
It becomes Hwy
176 after you have been on it about 7 miles.  GO THE SPEED LIMIT IN WHITMIRE,
NOT
ONE MPH OVER!

TO COME  DIRECTLY TO OUR FARM: As you approach Union, you will see a big
church  on
the left with a lighted type sign on its lawn, and just past that, the
highway makes a big sweeping
turn to the left. See TWO, WHITE, 1-story  houses on the right, PREPARE TO
TURN RIGHT,
between those houses onto  "Hawkins Road". Go about 1.5 mile, see "Austin
Road" to the right,
turn  and go up the hill. We own the field on the left with the mesh fence,
and  the house is a 2
story brick at the top of the hill. You'll see the barn on  the left before
you get to the house - there
is a wide grassy area  across from the barn where trailers can pull. Leave
tack in the trailers  and
take feed and hay down all at once or as you need it. Leave the  trailers in
the wide place across
from the barn, or park them in our  extra yard between our house and the
neighbor.

TO GO DIRECTLY TO  FAIRGROUNDS:
Ignore above and stay on #176. At the traffic  light make a left turn,
which will keep you on
176. Follow it for about  2 miles. See McDonalds and Walmart on left, watch
for stadium  and
Fairgrounds on right. At traffic light, turn right on Old Buffalo Road.
Second right is entrance to
Fairgrounds.

Elaine’s  numbers:  home 864-429-0816, cell 864-426-3638 in case you get
lost.

In your service,

EIRIKR INN DANSKI
Deputy  Seneschal