[MR] speaking of which...

R. B. Irvin rbirvin at mindspring.com
Sat Sep 4 08:59:29 PDT 2004

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004, Virginia E. Liles wrote:

>   When you choose to use non-inclusive language (male And Female), as our
> culture teaches you, you are being inexact and sometimes unintentionally
> offensive.  Man does not equal human; woman does not equal unable. Our

Were I in the mood to be offended (as opposed to being really bored)
I would take issue at the implied contention that men are not human.
However, there are individuals that prompt me to wonder...

> Culture Still teaches this male centric language with its assumptions
> slowly slipping but a Norm in our culture(hell you try fighting back
> hampered by long skirts)

Now *there* is a topic for Midieval and later social research: How
would the adoption of ranged weapons (arrows, bolts, bullets, etc.)
in English warfare have affected the position of women in Anglophile
society? A skirt doesn't exactly hamper firing a crossbow or a
handgonne.

Brion Gennadyevich