[MR] Pennsic Escort Service (Was, woman attacked at Pennsic)

Roy B. Scherer rscherer at infionline.net
Fri Sep 3 06:42:30 PDT 2004

At 03:24 PM9/2/2004-0700, CECILY mka Stacie Larson wrote:

>- assuming way the heck more volunteers for Security, to include
>Escorts, what about Security Substations every few blocks?  Maybe Lord
>Bob in the place you're visiting can't walk you across all of Pennsic,
>but he could run you a block over to a substation.  There, you could
>wait in a safe location and the volunteers there could radio for a
>nearby Escort to come fetch you and take you where you need to go.

         ASSUMING many more volunteers, which is not at all a safe
assumption, this would solve your Problem 4 as well.
         There wouldn't have to be discrete Security Substations,
either.  Instead, individual encampments could embrace the opportunity to
serve the Dream by arranging that there be one person present/awake/alert
at all times in their encampment.  The tin-hat crowd -- sorry, Their Most
August Majesties -- would no doubt offer suitable social rewards for such
service.
         Such encampments could be marked by a special lantern, rather as
callboxes for Campus Security are marked with special lights.  Strobes
wouldn't be appropriate (IMHO), but standard candle-lanterns are available
at WallyWorld and similar places.  A piece of blue transparent plastic
film, cut to fit, could be slipped between the frame and the standard window'
         Whichever person had that duty at a given moment would have a
radio (FRS radios are cheap) to call Escort Dispatch.  Radio wouldn't even
have to be turned on most of the time -- only when a call had to be made,
and while awaiting arrival of Escort.
         Duty in camp would presumably be handled same as fire or kitchen
duties: "volunteer -- or we'll have to draft someone".
-- Britton Morgan

end

		- - Roy B. Scherer
  [8 N. Sheppard Street, Richmond, VA 23221; (804) 355-7612]
		"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."
		 -- Thomas Jefferson