[MR] Your Women?

E L Wimett silverdragon at charleston.net
Thu Sep 2 13:55:14 PDT 2004

Herveus probably knows that I have been SEETHING at this whole thread.

A couple of years ago I was told by someone of some Atlantian households
that did not allow women to leave camp --- day or night --- unescorted by a
male at Pennsic and I said that was ridiculous.

I STILL think it is ridiculous and extremely demeaning to all women.  It
implies that the women in question do not have enough discretion to make
their own decisions but must be guided by the males or other leaders of the
households in question.  I really had a hard time believing that the women
of those households, some of whom were intelligent, independent women
mundanely and some of whom armored up and fought in the lists, could so
abrogate their human rights for the approval of a single male or a group of
friends.  I STILL have a problem with that.

But then I also have a problem with males who assume that I cannot find
where the royalty are sitting in court and must be escorted to the front of
the hall.  As many of you know, I find that assumption demeaning and often
motivated less by "southern chivalry" than a desire to share the limelight.

It is one thing if someone --- male or female --- is scared enough to want
company at Pennsic or in court.  It is another to generalize and assume
everyone of a certain gender NEEDS it.

Alisoun, who has been walking the night at Pennsic since Pennsic IX