[MR] Woman Attacked at Pennsic

Roy B. Scherer rscherer at infionline.net
Wed Sep 1 21:03:36 PDT 2004

At 11:05 PM9/1/2004-0400, Martha wrote:
>when I felt the conversation was over
>and I needed to go find my friends he grabbed me and began to pull me into
>the bushes.  the fight I put up was futile.  He was much stronger than I and
>taller.  I screamed for help

Milady:
         Thank you for sharing that painful experience.
         It may well be that your tale will disuade other maids from being
quite so vulnerable.
         I'm sure that every male (and most females) on this list wish that
they could have been there to intervene; thank the Creator that there WAS
someone to perform a rescue.  (My personal opinion has always been that
rapists, attempted or accomplished, should simply be disarmed, having their
weapon of aggression removed from them.)
         Let me take this opportunity to remind you all that Pennsic
Security -- er, ah, I mean "Public Safety" -- is chronically short of
volunteers.  We try to have three cart patrols, with two gentles aboard
each, and two foot patrols as well, twenty-four hours a day throughout
Pennsic.  We repeatedly (in my limited experience for the past half-dozen
wars) fail to meet that goal, due to lack of volunteers.  Next War, I urge
you ALL to volunteer to work Public Safety -- particularly after
dark!  There is absolutely no need to be a big strong fierce fighter type
of person -- scribes, artists, and minstrels can operate a radio just as
well as Conan the Uncouth!

end

		- - Roy B. Scherer
  [8 N. Sheppard Street, Richmond, VA 23221; (804) 355-7612]
		"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."
		 -- Thomas Jefferson