[MR] 12th Night Bardic Competition

Claire V. Basney basnc at anduin.dwarfrune.com
Tue Dec 28 19:28:28 PST 2004

Esteemed colleagues and those interested in the Bardic Arts,

A wonderful opportunity is before us all!  At Kingdom Twelfth Night, on
January 8, 2005, the competition for the next Royal Bard will take place.
Knowing the talent in this kingdom, I anticipate a truly exciting
competition.

Competition information (on the 12th Night Web Page, for future
reference): http://twelfthnight.atlantia.sca.org/index.php

Calling talented bards and minstrels, those ambitious for royal favor! At
noble Atlantia's Kingdom Twelfth Night, a competition will be held to
select the next Royal Bard of Atlantia. The competition will consist of
three rounds, judged by gifted and experienced bards--those pleasing the
judges in the first round will pass to the second, and so on. The final
round is traditionally judged by Their Majesties and Highnesses
themselves.

Competition specifics:
Round one: up to five minutes
Round two: up to seven minutes
Round three: up to twelve minutes

At these rounds, bards may perform stories, songs, poetry, instrumental
pieces, or any other art that falls under the bardic category. One piece
at least should be period and documented--the others may be as you choose.
If you run less than the maximum number of minutes, do not worry: the
limits are set primarily to keep the competition moving.

If you want to please your judges: 1) variety is highly prized, and a
useful tool when performing for audiences of all tastes and ages. For
instance, having at the tip of your tongue a period story, a song, and a
poem/instrumental piece for three different rounds would look good. 2) A
second virtue of bardic performance is creativity--if you have written or
composed your own story, song, or poem, make sure the judges know! 3) Seek
confidence in presentation--this is a combination of getting and holding
audience attention and the ability to continue when the unexpected
happens.

So take heart, and your best music and stories, and join the finest of the
land in chivalrous competition. If you have any questions or require
further information, please email me, Lady Eleanor Percy (current Royal
Bard) at StoryweaverCVB AT hotmail.com and I will respond as quickly as
time and leisure allow.

More information regarding said competition: the competition will being
shortly after first court, which I have been informed will begin at 11 AM
(don't neglect to calculate in SCA time), in the court hall.  We have the
majority of the hall to ourselves.  The first two rounds will occur
consecutively, and then there will be a brief intermission where there
majesties will join us to judge the third round.  Winners will be
announced at their majesties' discretion.

If you are intending to compete in the Royal Bard competition, or if you
know someone who is who is not on this email list, feel free to forward
this message to them.  Also, please reply to me--I am interested in
getting an idea of who is intending to compete, for reasons of providing
tokens, etc.

Even if this is the first time it
has occurred to you to compete, I encourage you to try.  There is plenty
of time to prepare (advanced preparation is not always the ticket to
success in the bardic arts--believe me!) and off the cuff can be as fun or
more than a painstakingly prepared performance.

If you have any questions or would like more information about the
competition, please write back ASAP.  And let me know if you are
competing!

In service to Atlantia and the Bardic Arts,
Lady Eleanor Percy
Current Royal Bard of Atlantia (for the next couple weeks!)