[MR] Fwd: sad news for Clan Tynker

Sean D. Sorrentino sdsorrentino at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 16 15:16:02 PST 2004

Those of you who attend Pennsic each year may have
seen Clan Tynker perform. they are a family of
juggler/circus performers. one of their members has
suddenly been paralyzed from the waist down. here's a
forwarded email about it originally sent out to the
Outlands, their home kingdom. i will see if i can run
down some contact info on the coordinator for medical
bill donations.
Domenico

--- Paul Hudert <paulgarbanzo at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hey everyone,
>
> I don't know how many of you know, but I thought I
> would spread the word.
> I talked to Elijah a couple days ago and then I saw
> this letter on an SCA
> site, so I
> figure it's open news.
>
> here's the letter:
>
> A rare medical condition has suddenly left Sam
> Tynker, a performer in
> the SCAdian band Clan Tynker, paralyzed from the
> waist down. Friends
> and family are seeking donations to help defray
> mounting medical
> expenses.
>
> A notice published by Clan Tynker a few days ago
> informed the
> Outlands populace of the misfortune:
>
> ...The day before Thanksgiving, Sam became
> completely paralyzed below
> the waist. He was rushed to ICU, and with a series
> of tests it was
> discovered that he had an arterial-vascular fistula,
> a rare
> [congenital] condition...which creates an abnormal
> blood flow in his
> spinal cord. The effect of this malformation of the
> arteries usually
> becomes apparent after the second decade of one's
> life.
>
> On November 30th he had open back surgery; the
> neurosurgeon was
> hopeful that it was a success. Sam is currently in
> inpatient rehab
> and slowly learning to use his legs again. It is
> still not certain
> that he will be able to walk again, but he is
> showing signs of
> improvement.
>
> He has asked that well-wishers, please not send
> flowers or gifts as
> he has a very small room. If anyone is inspired to
> do something to
> help him, any donation towards his hospital bill
> would be greatly
> appreciated. Mistress Eleanor has kindly offered to
> co-ordinate both
> cash donations and donations for a Silent Auction to
> be held at al-
> Barran Midwinter. Many thanks to those who have
> already donated, and
> for all your thoughts and prayers.
>
> THL Jinan al-Hadaya, of the Kingdom of Outlands,
> adds, "You may have
> seen Sam Tynker perform with his family at events
> like Estrella War
> or Pennsic, or maybe you have even gotten the chance
> to meet Sam on
> the field of battle. Either way, you know he is a
> man of great talent
> and greater spirit."
>
> She says an effort is underway to collect funds to
> help with the
> expense of the operation and ongoing care. "It is
> unfortunate that
> such sad things happen around the holidays. If you
> find you have any
> coins in your pocket left after holiday shopping,
> please consider
> [...]

=====
Sean Sorrentino
Email: