[MR] reprint of THE book on Bone, Antler, Ivory and Horn

SNSpies at aol.com SNSpies at aol.com
Fri Dec 3 12:59:49 PST 2004

A bit of  worthwhile news for those who would like to do skeletal
materials work.  This is more comprehensive than just the York
Archaeology book of roughly  the same title. The prime difference
is that the York book is limited to  that one area while the
1985 book never was. The York book does contain an  antler saw
that the 1985 book doesn't.

I wrote several months  ago.:

>>>Dr. Arthur MacGregor is THE expert on skeletal  materials work
>>>in England
>>>and is attached to the  Ashmolean Museum in Oxford. His 1985 book on
>>>Bone, Antler,  Ivory and Horn is the Bible on Bonework from Roman
>>>through  Medieval Times.
>>>
>>>Master Finnr was attempting to  get the 1985 book of his republished
>>>for other reenactors and  had been talking to a publisher and Arthur
>>>Macregor about  republishing it but had never linked the two.

I had attempted to get  this reprinted after Master Finnr died.
I am very glad Barnes and Noble saw  the worth of the book and
they generally reprint at reasonable  prices.

Guthrum of Regia Anglorum, an archaeologist in Scotland,  responded.
> Anyway, via one of my archaeology lists I found out that it  has
> just been reprinted:
>
> MacGregor, A. 'Bone, Antler,  Ivory and Horn: the Technology of
> Skeletal Materials since the Roman  period'. The US publisher is
> Barnes and Noble, the ISBN is  0-7099-3507-2.

I have a lot of articles on bone and antler work and a  fair number
of books. If you had to have ONE MacGregor's is the one to  get.

Magnus