[MR] Re: Acorn & Internet

Charlotte Wurtzel mathilde at mathildegirlgenius.com
Sat Dec 18 10:56:15 PST 2004

Greetings all!

First I'd like to thank those who wrote me privately to welcome me and answer my
questions. Moving a lot is quite a bit easier with friends all over the known
world!

> The Society Chronicler policy was in fact to put the paper
> copies of the kingdom newsletters at a timely advantage.
> The notion that other kingdoms might not have complied with
> the policy doesn't surprise me.  During my years as policy
> maker for the Society's electronic publications I saw a
> great deal of discrepancies.

I would guess it's because some groups and kingdoms don't consider the calendar
solely part of the newsletter, but an entity unto itself. I (and many others,
apparently) don't consider publishing an up to date and far reaching calendar a
violation of this society policy.

> I think neither that the purpose of every web
> site is to provide as much as possible, nor that our kingdom
> is producing them to force anyone to do anything.

The reasons for the law have been explained as (paraphrase) "not providing the
information on the website until after the Acorn is published as a matter of
encouraging subscriptions".  Perhaps "forcing" is too strong of a word, but I
still feel that if the *policy* impedes the publication of the calendar, it is
not in the best interests of the populace.

> >> It maybe be par for the course for a person to have to
> search all over creation for event information in Atlantia,
> but that's not useful for a new SCA person, or somebody new
> to the kingdom.
>
> Frankly, I find this statement to be insulting to the myriad
> of volunteers that work diligently within the policies that
> they're given.  The policies exist for a reason, and no
> amount of slights on a kingdom mailing list will change
> them.  These concerns should be respectfully submitted to
> the Society Chronicler who, if convinced, would need to
> submit the policy changes to the Board of Directors for
> approval.

It was not meant as an insult, but you seem to be reading insult into everything
that I've said. Let me preface my statement by saying to all of the officers out
there that it was not meant as such. I know from experience that you all work
hard, and was not critisizing the work that you do.

Kevin, my statements were about the policy, not about the person, and thereby
were not aimed at any such volunteers. I am not "slighting" anyone. When people
on this list mentioned that information wasn't on the calendar, they have been
so far pointed to announcements on the MR list, flyers on baronial and local
websites, and "unofficial" calendars not linked to the kingdom website. This
is, specifically, the search to which I am referring. I didn't even know which
barony that Twelfth Night was taking place in, how would I have known to find
the flyer on the website?

I would also like to thank those people who responded privately and on this list
regarding the amazing sounding new SPIKE II. That answers my question, and
sounds like it will fix the issue. Kevin, if I'd taken my concern directly to
the society chronicler, I would not have received this simple answer to my
question.

> Because, that's what you're doing.  It may make all
> of us feel better to attack a web page and not a person, but
> I can guarantee that Lord Gruffudd knows the difference.

No, I will not take your suggestion, because it's not at all what I'm doing or
what I mean. Please don't put words into my mouth.

> Thankfully, there is a silent majority that is grateful for
> the long hours he puts into this job for the benefit of many
> offices, not just the chroniclers.  There is also a
> supportive minority that understands just how much he does,
> and encourages him to continue in the face of such slights.

You know, just because I have something to say about policy, does NOT mean that
I'm not grateful for the work that officers do. Comments and discussion are how
the process gets better, and as a former officer, I would not appreciate it if
people didn't give their opinions on related policy for fear of "hurting my
feelings".

> You've mentioned that you've lived in other kingdoms, and
> have only recently moved here.  In that case, welcome to
> Atlantia.  I hope that you get to know us as well as we've
> gotten to know you.

Kevin, I really wish you wouldn't, because frankly, you've taken most of what
I've said out of content and completely twisted its meaning, assuming that I am
intending to slight an individual. Perhaps I have hit on some sort of raw nerve
of yours, but I'm not sure that I quite deserve this. I have stated explicitly
that I in no means mean to slight any of the hard work that the webminister is
doing. Professionally, I am a web developer and I understand that getting all
of the correct information at once can be like herding cats.

I'm working under the assumption that I have hit a raw nerve, and you are
generally a gentlemanly type person who does not assume the worst of people's
intentions. I see that we live in the same barony, and I hope when we meet in
person we can be friends and you will understand that I am not an
officer-hating ogre.

Kind regards,
Mathilde