[MR] Acorn & Internet

JOSHUA THOMAS jthom058 at odu.edu
Fri Dec 17 08:54:20 PST 2004

I read many peoples concerns with keeping the Letters under wraps until the
Acorn have more than likely been received by the populace. I do not think
this is a critical factor in one's decision to become a member or not.
There are more valuable attributes of membership.
Like:
- The $3 dollar non-member surcharge at Events. That means if you attend 11
or more events a year you might as well be a member. I find the benefit of
not having to pay it more of a benefit than receiving the Letters first.
Plus there are the raised War Entrance fees at events like Pennsic, which
more than makes membership pay for itself.
- The pay to play and requirements to hold office rules: In order to fight
or hold most offices you need to be a member. I think receiving the Letters
first is either complementary to this benefit or completely secondary when
compared to this one.

I think the current event surcharge kind of out-dates the reasoning in the
current kingdom policies. I am sure the surcharge drives more people to
membership than the kingdom newsletter ever did. Not saying the Acorn is
not useful-- It just not the huge driver to get membership anymore. In
fact, I would dare say what better way to for the SCA show its great
organization skills than more streamlined up to date information. I
question the benefit of keeping the mentioned current kingdom policy if not
the 5f Policy in place.

I am taking the advice of the good gentle who advised a like-minded
individual  to advise the the BOD as well as the Kingdom Chronicler of his
position. I still think this is a valuable public discussion that may
change Atlantia for the better. Please keep your opinions pouring in.