[MR] Re: Merchants at Pennsic

ekoogler1 at comcast.net ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Wed Aug 20 05:36:58 PDT 2003

I tend to agree that we do need to say something.  This is the first time in
over 20 years of attending Pennsic that I recall hearing of this many merchants
being kicked out of the event or not permitted to return the next year.

So I guess the next thing is to ask, "What do we do about it?"  Perhaps if
enough of us wrote individually, Cindy Cooper would be pressed to give us some
kind of response.  Or there is the possibility of sending a letter, signed by
all who want to know what happened, to her...with copies to the Crowns of all 3
Kingdoms (East, Aethelmarc and the Middle) involved in the running of the
event, as well as the Coopers who own the place...she again might be forced to
respond with reasons.  Of course she could just say, "Because I say so."

I pretty much know the reasons for Pillaged Village (feel that the punishment
was a tad severe, but understand that the rules must be obeyed) and Iolo (read
his letter, believe that there are two sides to every story...and it was a case
of not obeying rules that had been in place for a number of years).  However,
this is the first I had heard of Phil's and Casta Diva.  While I rarely even
looked into Casta Diva (prices 'way out of my range), I did enjoy eating at
Phil's.  And I will definitely miss his establishment when next I attend
Pennsic.  However, I would like to hear an official explanation as to what the
perceived problem was.  While I know that the SCA doesn't operate as a
democracy...and the Coopers have the right to exclude anyone they wish as they
own the property...I do feel that what has happened hear is a little heavy-
handed, not to mention unfair to those of us who patronized these merchants.

Yes, it is a great place to hold Pennsic.  But, as another mentioned, we ARE
their customers, and, as such, should be treated with courtesy and
honesty...unless they are so certain of our custom that they really don't care
whether they offend or not.

I do think we need to ask what happened...and I think it must be asked of Cindy
Cooper, with a statement that we do expect some kind of response.

Kiri