[MR] New World Arbalest - More Information

Siegfried Sebastian Faust eliwhite at adelphia.net
Tue Aug 19 07:51:19 PDT 2003

To those wishing to know more information, another version, etc. of the
story of Master Iolo of New World Arbalest being ejected from Pennsic, I
offer the following.  For the record, it is my accounting, of what was
witnessed, and told to me, by a good friend of mine, and Iolo's.  Who was
sitting in the New World Arbalest booth at the time of this incident.

My friend says that he was talking to Iolo, and, yes, as usual, Iolo was
doing his regular sales pitch: "Try the bows, try the bows, come shoot my
tent."  Which he has done for all the time that I have known him and
attended pennsic.

As a young child was shooting (8-11ish), the Cooper lady came over, and
said she wished to speak with Iolo.  Who got up to talk to her.  At this
point, my friend was left in the booth, and due to volume levels, could
only hear Iolo's side of the conversation.

The first words were: "Oh, so I should stop doing that?".   After a
response from the lady, Iolo's response was: "WHAT!?"

Iolo then walked back to my friend, and told him that he had been kicked
off site.  And started packing up.

-- Now, for my own editorial, I will add the following points.  For one,
that he was kicked off due to 'holding a martial activity in a non-martial
zone'.  This point, is a grey area at best.  Shooting a combat blunt at a
Tent wall, is really no different than a fighter sinking a pell in his camp
and hitting it (which I have seen done often).  It is not a martial
activity per se.  Again, I admit this is a grey area.  Which is why a
warning, or a reminder, would have been much more in-line than ejection
from site.
   Now, some people have claimed that Iolo was previously warned and told
to stop this at Pennsics past.  This, I do not know nor can answer
on.  However, I can say that from my own knowledge of Iolo, that he is an
honorable man, and that if told to stop such an activity by the 'powers
that be', that he would do so.  Not that he would blatantly continue to
break a rule that he knew he was breaking.
   In Iolo's own account, which I am including below, he acknowledges that
it was a grey area, and he claims that he was not warned in previous years,
at least in any official manner.
   And on that note, that is all that I can say