[MR] a Couple CA notes on Pennsic.

James C. Wagner Jr. james at cds.duke.edu
Wed Aug 6 07:24:42 PDT 2003

I was just reading over the Pennsic Missile weapon rules again before I left
and noticed a few things that I thought should be pointed out just to be on
the safe side..

all these references can be found at:
http://www.pennsicwar.org/penn32/MARSHAL/CombatArchery.html

*** "1.7) A combat arrow must be felt, seen, or heard to be good. If a fighter
does not feel it hit, hear it land, or see it land, it is NOT good. Marshals
should not be calling fighters dead just because they have been struck
by an arrow (or javelin or any other projectile weapon) unless the marshal sees
a noticeable reaction from the fighter that was struck."

This is the Pennsic CA convention. I'm SURE that there will be lots of
different interpretations out there. (I, myself, have a problem with the second
sentence, but that's a question for the CA MiC.)

*** You will see tubular arrows longer than 28" (i.e. siloflex and Golftubes)
These are legal arrows. (I've only seen one set that long in the kingdom
recently and they belong to me.) (2.2.1)

*** There will be heavy bows (31 - 50#) out on the field (not authorized for
Atlantians.) They will have red tape on the top and bottom. (2.2.7) These bows
may ONLY shoot tubular arrows.

***"2.3.1) No arrows/bolts made from wood or fiberglass may be fired if your
opponent is within 10 feet. Golftube and Siloflex arrows/bolts must be able to
clear the bow before it strikes the target."

i.e. If you see a heavy bow or CROSSBOW, you can't get inside their range. They
can shoot you from REALLY close and it's legal.  i.e. A heavy archer can shoot
you from 33 INCHES away and a heavy crossbowman can shoot you from 8 INCHES
away. That makes it legal at Pennsic.

Some of the lighter bows/crossbows can (and will) fire non-shafted missiles.
it's legal and they still only have to clear the weapon.

Also, you might not see any ammo on a bowman/crossbowman. They can freely glean
bolts/arrows of Golftube or Siloflex and fire them.

*** 4.12 shows how a siege engine can be disabled. If you don't have a siege
engine, you need to kill off the siege crew. DON'T touch the siege engine
with your rattan. This is specifically forbidden in 4.14.

Just a few of the things I noticed that differ from Atlantian rules (and, maybe,
some of the things that were mentioned at Assessment.) that I wanted to make
folks aware of. Pass this along to others if you get a chance.

In Service,

James of Middle Aston
james at cds.duke.edu