[MR] Children and Classic Swimming Holes

Terelyn Marks jilamay at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 19 05:43:41 PDT 2003

I'm going to jump in with my two pence worth -- I was at the Classic
Swimming Hole at the same time with the lady expressing her concerns.

I was less worried about nudity and small children as I was the fact that
there were several unsupervised children in the water and the parents were
nowhere to be found.  Or, if they were there, they weren't keeping an eye on
their own kids.  So, those of us adults with no children were put in the
position of watching out for them.  Even though some of the 'little
darlings' were incredibly annoying, we really didn't want to see them drown!

The water where we were was about waist-deep and there were some small boys
that had to be told repeatedly NOT to try diving from the bank into it.
There was one little girl that decided we were there to entertain her and
spent a lot of time pushing, shoving and poking at the adults around her
until someone finally told her to go away.  I think at that point, she found
someone else to pester.  She, btw, was the one that managed to kick one of
the men there as she jumped past him.  I do know that we asked several times
if the parents of these children were here and if they were, they chose to
ignore them.

I don't mind having the kids there, as long as they're being supervised by
their parents or another designated adult.  If someone isn't watching them,
they don't belong in the water at all.

Marsaili Johnston

In democracy it's your vote that counts.  In feudalism it's your count that
votes.