[MR] Pennsic Cell Phones

Rosine nothingbutadame at inthe.sca.org
Sun Aug 31 17:42:04 PDT 2003

   I believe in our camp of 35-40 folks, we had *almost* a cell phone per
person - yet you would have never known it as the phones were used
exclusively in private areas away from the public view (you could, perhaps,
walk too close to a pavilion or shade and overhear someone talking to their
boss or kiddies but you'd have to work at it.)
   The few times I was able to leave camp, I noticed the same thing that
Lady Judith did - cell phones "in the extreme". And I agree - a letter of
request that the ringing of the phone and the obvious use in public be
banned (discouraged/grumped about/cause for throwing in a trunk until the
battery died) would be nice. Personally, I shut mine off save once a day to
check messages and return calls. But I had no boss or emergency to worry
about.
   The phones are good, and I think, necessary. But that doesn't mean that
they need to be in public view at all times. Rather like toothbrushes, they
should be used discretely.
   I know I made a point of thanking the gentleman who was shopping up near
the barn (and obviously doing it for someone not at Pennsic) when I noticed
that he was ducking behind a pavilion to quickly consult his "shopper" and
then coming back to make the sale. If his quick return to the side hadn't
caught my eye (I thought he might be ill and need help), his calling would
have been totally un-noticed. So I thanked him for his courtesy. Even as
another man walked by with his palm pilot firmly stuck to his ear.

Rosine