[MR] Pennsic Cell Phones

Judithsca at aol.com Judithsca at aol.com
Sun Aug 31 16:50:02 PDT 2003

In a message dated 8/31/2003 6:05:06 PM Eastern Standard Time,
tatsushu at hotmail.com writes:

> I'm not as drawn out by people talking on the phone.  Heck, I've seen
> people
> talking to themselves without a phone!  I can ignore that just as I can
> ignore the little walkie-talkies that, while non-period, are a great way to
> help a few people coordinate and get things done at large events and large
> event sites.

I agree about walkie-talkies.  At an event as large as Pennsic, they are
necessary.  However, walkie-talkies do not ring in the middle of my classes.  I
never notice the walkie-talkies, and very few people at Pennsic have them
compared to the number of people who are at Pennsic.  However, in the middle of a
class that I am teaching, I do notice that lovely little electronic noise, and
this last year I would say that easily 50% of the time that I was walking
about, I heard a cell phone ringing.  And that is a conservative estimate.  There
are many more cell phones at Pennsic than walkie-talkies...

 Also, I realize that for some people if they cannot have a

> connection back to work they cannot come.  Yes, this isn't why most people
> bring their phones, but some people do actually need them and the only way
> they can come to Pennsic and still have a job when they get back.  Thus, I
> would be against the banning of cell phones (although encouraging
> discreetness of use is, imho, a great thing).

I agree.  Banning cell phones at Pennsic is not what I actually meant to
write.  Banning cell phone that ring is more to the point.  The people talking to
themselves--- that does not bother me so much as make me look twice to ensure
what I am seeing
      Of course, what people do within their encampments is a different
story; I almost consider that their private space, so if they want to have their
cell phones there, to receive messages and what not, that is fine.  But I still
see no reason that they have to have it with them 24/7, set to ring outloud,
wherever they are at the event.