[MR] Sewing machine selection

Michelle L. McDaniel McDanielM at aaa.si.edu
Tue Sep 17 07:46:06 PDT 2002

Greetings!

When choosoing a sewing machine, it's best to choose one that fits your
needs and is within your budget.

Getting one used is great, as long as it still works and you can find
needles and bobbins. Some older machines won't accept modern sized needles
and bobbins.

No name brands are fine. I list name brands so that you have somesort of
reference.

My current machine is one that I bought at a Piece goods13-14 years ago. It
was labeled "Domestic" (It appeared to be the same machine JC Pennys was
selling as their brand at the time.) I have never had any problems with it
that I wasn't able to fix with a good cleaning and oiling. I have used it as
a production machine (I worked as an alterationist in a dry cleaners, full
time for a year and used my machine over the industrial because mine was
more versatile.) and it worked fine. I've put hems on jeans and sewn fine
silk chiffon and had beautiful results on both.

If you are going to be an occasional sewer (a few pieces in a year) using
medium weight fabric just about any machine will do.

If you plan on sewing regularly, I would choose a machine that is fairly
sturdy, (mostly metal construction), with limited electronic components.
Decent brands include Singer and Kenmore. (My costume professor in college
recommended Kenmores as they were sturdy and Sears were everywhere if they
needed fixing.)

If you want to be a production sewer (sewing for your living) and have the
money, I would recommend an Elna, Bernina, or a Husqvarna. (The Viking and
White are American names for two of the previous, but I don't remember
which.) They are the Cadillacs of sewing machines. They run smoothly,
quietly, are a dream to work on. the summer I worked at an interior
decorators making curtains and pillows I worked on an Elna and loved it.

If you want to do specialized stitches and have the money, you can invest in
various machines that will do all sorts of embroidery. They're really
impressive and expensive. (10 years ago, when last I looked, they were
2500$. As cool as they were I decided that I didn't need one and don't miss
not having it.)

Another thing to consider in sewing machine selection is size. Often older
machines come with their own cabnets. These are large, sometimes heavy
pieces that take up much more space than the portable models. If you have a
small place and you don't live to sew, a portable model is a better bet.

There is a good discussion on choosing a machine in The costume designer's
handbook : a complete guide for amateur and professional costume designers
by Rosemary Ingham and Liz Covey. (2nd ed., Rev. and updated. Portsmouth, NH
: Heinemann, c1992.) (This was the text used in my costume design class in
college and well worth having in your collection. The section on pattern
drafting is excellent.)

Hope this is helpful! Good luck!

**aelfwynn of whitby** (who studied to be a theatrical costume designer but
decided actors didn't repect my "works of art" ;-) enough and joined the SCA
instead ;-) )