[MR] Sad News From the East Kingdom

E L Wimett silverdragon at charleston.net
Sat Sep 14 10:44:52 PDT 2002

News reached me this morning of the death just before midnight of Nick
Taylor, known to the heralds as Aelfwine Denedom and to the rest of the
Society as Aelfwine of the Dunedain, Earl Aelfwine or simply Nick.

A friend and mentor to many in lands far beyond the northerly reaches of
the East Kingdom where he lived, Aelfwine's chivalry, courtesy, humor and
constant willingness to put aside his own concerns to lend a hand to even
the most casual of strangers led many of us to consider him the model of
what a true knight should be.

His house opposite the barn at Pennsic was a landmark for oldtimers and
newbies alike and his absence from Pennsic this year left a hole that could
not be filled.

Though small in physical stature, Aelfwine soul was great and nowhere was
this shown more clearly than in his long and ultimately unsuccessful battle
against genetically-induced leukemia.

So rich are my memories of Aelfwine that it is hard to choose just one to
share, but. . .

More than twenty years ago when Aelfwine reigned over the East, I wrote a
song for him called "Winter King".  Its initial lines carry an image of him
standing on a frosted northern field that will ever be enshrined in my
heart:

"Silken strands of honey gold
Blowing in a wind that's cold,
Like a legend that was told
Long ago. . ."

Nick is now truly numbered amongst the lost legends of the East.  He will
be forever missed.

Alisoun