[MR] Variations to Crown Tournaments

Syr William syr_william at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 5 21:27:34 PDT 2002

I can foresee a number of problems in allowing such formats as War Crowns
being allowed as a means for choosing future monarchs. The potential for
serious abuse is far too great. The more variables you inject into a
volitile situation, such as Crown Tournament, the greater the potential for
abuse. It is difficult enough as an MIC for a crown tournament to properly
oversee a double elimination list. I know, as I have the MIC on six
occasions. Increasing the number of combattants in the list at any given
time will only serve to further complicate the issue.

Then there is the issue of fairness to address. In the current format, the
winner of a crown tournament is determined solely by the individuals
involved. If we allow teams to enter the list, then the makeup of the teams
can easily be manipulated to favor some individuals or to essentially bar
other participants from the list. Trust me, you design the scenario and I
will tell you how to abuse it.

Finally, there is an issue of peerage to consider. All peerages are earned
by the efforts of the idividual. Yes, we all receive significant support
along our path, but in the end, it is up to the individual to earn his/her
peerage. In the case of a War Crown that is not the case. It is the efforts
of the candidate's supporters that matter as much or more in determining who
will or will not wear the crown. Would the order of the Pelican allow others
to do service in the name of an indivual for consideration by their order?
What about the Laurels? May I sing in the name of my lady and have them
consider my works for her potential peerage. Perhaps I could fight in the
name of a squire and have the Chiv consider that in our deliberations. Such
actions are not in keeping with the precepts of such awards and accordingly
I find that I could not support such a change to our traditional form of
selecting new monarchs.

Wm