[MR] Variations to Crown Tournaments

Rowanwald Central rowanwald at sybercom.net
Fri Sep 6 04:14:21 PDT 2002

   I was at the meeting where the BoD discussed the change to the wording
and can give a perspective that may be overlooked just now on this list. We
have, for the most part of the history of the Society, interpreted our
present rule to mean "one fighter vs another, one on one" - the Secretary of
the BoD (Sir Andrew of Riga) could only find two or three, I believe,
instances of there being a different type of tourney - and one of them was a
melee which so disturbed everyone present that *by consent of the
participants* it was declared void and a standard single-combat tourney was
fought the next day.

   However - now the BoD is forced to change the present wording because
attention has been drawn to the "loophole" within it. They were loathe to
change it to a strict "one-on-one elimination" format because it completely
removed any chances of experimentation on the part of individual Kingdoms.
They are trying to protect each Kingdom's rights while ensuring parity by
drafting wording that would enable limited experimentation without
stretching interpretation too far. I don't believe that the BoD members were
all that pleased with this initial drafting - I believe that they are hoping
that out of the solicited comments better phrasing will be offered. I can
tell you that every time an issue was brought up where comments had been
solicited beforehand, each member of the BoD appeared fully conversant with
all the comments - meaning ALL of them read ALL of the letters. "What did
the comments say?" was a repeated refrain.

   The rule _will_ be re-worded. Developments in other Kingdoms have forced
the BoD's hand. The only question is how the rule will read. Your letters to
them are far more important than anything written on solely this List. Once
you have talked and thought and exchanged ideas here, please send your
comments to

Corpora Revision, SCA Inc.,
Box 360789,
Milpitas CA 95036,
 or comments at sca.org, no later than December 15, 2002.

   Don't let your voice sound in what is essentially a side room... _write
to the BoD_.

In service,
Rosine
Nobility depends not on parentage or place of birth,
but on breadth of compassion and depth of loving-kindness.
If we would be noble, let us be great-hearted.
rowanwald at sybercom.net