[MR] Song help

JBRMM266 at aol.com JBRMM266 at aol.com
Tue Sep 10 06:09:24 PDT 2002

Lady Hrosvitha von Celle wrote seeking knowledge of a song about a stallion and a blade and a helm . . .

The line she cited repeats several times with variations.  The first time it's:

        He said, "I’ve seen a horse, a fine Andalus stallion.
        I’ve seen a blade of the good Spanish steel.
        I’ve seen a bonnet of Rhineland gilt iron,
        and a cunning wrought hauberk from over the sea.
                I’ve seen them all, I’ve seen them all,
                I’ve seen them all in my travels at sea."

The song is "Rite of Passage," by Conn MacNeill (I know not when or if he was King of the Middle), and the rest of the song can be found here:

http://bardd.net/college/archive/songs/riteofpassage.html

Your servant,
Donal