[MR] Call for Comments

Logan dukelogan at directvinternet.com
Thu Sep 5 22:43:29 PDT 2002

since i was mentioned i will respond.

oddly i find that i can easily prove a popularity contest in any format that
allows teams.  i can stack a team and ensure victory in 99 out or 100 tries
(ive done so every year i have put together  a team for the 10 man at
pennsic).  single combat between two fighters under the gaze of the populace
in attendance is the only way to avoid that.  granted that does not, and
certainly has not, stopped fighters that desired a win over their own honor
from walking through a few blows but it provides more checks and balances
than anything allowing teams to compete.  be that team a two, five or fifty
man unit.

limiting the number of chiv on a  team is also weak as i can put together
teams of five chiv that cant beat teams of five unbelts.  the fighting
prowess of a knight certainly is part of what determines whether or not he
is recognized as one.  however, that prowess changes year to year.  just
because a fighter is belted does not dictate nor ensure his current level of
ability.

creating blind teams out of the available participants is also bogus as it
opens the door for one team to get blindly stacked or favoritism to
influence how hard a fighter fights against his mates.

regards
logan

ps  please understand that i personally am cool with whatever format and
whatever degrees of silliness people want to create to change the way we
decide our future monarchs.  im only trying to inject some realism into the
idea that allowing multiple parties choose who the individual is that sits
the throne is flawed in every respect.