[MR] Newbie

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 3 12:19:44 PDT 2002

    I attended my first event in Atlantia not very long ago.  I won't say
where
or when.  I would like to describe my experience and see if you can come to
some consensus for an answer.

<<<<snip>>>>>
    Not sure I will ever go to another event.
Any suggestions?

It seems you have gotten some varied and gracious responses.  I am happy to
hope these responses will bring you round to try other events.

I must say, my experiences in the SCA have been rather varied.  The Barony
where I began playing is a close knit group, still are to a large extent.
It was not much fun playing with them, depending on the event.  I moved to a
different Barony, Bright Hills actually, and have found an entirely happy
home here.  The folks are happy to see and seek out newcomers.  We will talk
your ear off about almost any and every subject.  If you walk too near any
kitchen we are in and look bored, believe me, we can find something for you
to do!  Tried archery?  Wanna?  Our archer marshall has plenty of loaner
equipment and lots of patience!  Oh, just plenty of things to do and learn
and the only reason you aren't having fun is because you just plain don't
want to.

You may take a look at the Baronial site and find out what guilds they have,
or what is offered in a Barony next door.  Finding folk with similar
interests is always a good place to start.  And remember, just because you
have an interest in something does not mean you have to know much of
anything about it to begin with.  That is what a good guild is all about.
To share knowledge; teach and learn.

Also, and I speak from personal experience, not all events are geared toward
non-fighters, most actually.  Some, frankly, don't have much of *anything*
going on for non-fighters except maybe some merchants and perhaps a feast.
I don't fight (well, on the field anyway) and I dabble at archery so I could
get really, really bored at an event like that.  Many folk take along
'projects' to work on and talk about.  Handwork of some sort tucked in their
baskets.  That will usually get someone talking to you.  Or you could do
what I do.  Go to the kitchen!  I just love to play with food.  And what a
lot of laughter can be found there.

Well, I have raised my family in the SCA for the past 12 years or so and am
so glad I have.  Heck, in high school my daughter even took over the class
and taught about the Vikings (her persona) when her instructor tried to
gloss over it.  And we think the kids aren't paying attention!  Only one of
the reasons I am happy to be part of this family.

If you are ever in Bright Hills (Baltimore, MD area) or just want to chat,
post off to me or look for me in the kitchen.

Lady Olwen the Odd