[MR] New 2001 Swann Book on Shoes

rmhowe MMagnusM at bellsouth.net
Fri Dec 28 16:00:12 PST 2001

Swann, June: History of Footwear in Norway, Sweden and Finland.
Prehistory to 1950.
Kungl. Vitterhets och Antikvitets Akademien 2001. 23.5x21 cm.
357 s. (pages) Ill. (in color frequently)
Publisher's printed wrappers.
Bookseller Inventory # 45769
Price: K 340.00 (approx. US$ 32.43) plus shipping from Sweden.

Sold by the largest bookseller in Sweden:
Ronnells Antikvariat AB, Birger Jarlsgatan 32, Stockholm,
Sweden, S114 29. Phone: +46 8 545 015 60. Fax: +46 8 545 015 69.
Email: ronnells at svaf.se

And yes, they do take ordinary credit cards.
I buy from them several times per year via email.
I have bought the book and it is a large paperback,
with frequent color photographs and illustrations from
many previous archaeological books concerning shoes.
The scope of the book covers more than just the three
countries in the title. Well worth the money. I happened
to find it while searching for another title. If you
are into period shoes you will probably be at least as
pleased with it as similar titles you might have that
are less common.

The wool embroideries on the multiple Bergen shoes are in
color in this book for example.

Covers prehistoric, Roman, some Coptic, a few Scottish,
a couple Saami, Aran Islands, German Halstatt pottery
reproductions, the Bergen last, a simple Danish one piece,
others from the iron age covered by Hald, a number of
Roman shoes from Germany, migration period shoes, some of the
Irish one pieces (inc. probably the handsomest example of these);
shoes from carvings, the Charlemagne sculpture, and the
Torslunda helmet plaque patrice,; the Viking Period (Staraja
Ladoga; Oseberg; Mindets tomt, Olso; an Ottonian ivory;
English illuminations; Bergen, Norway; Trondheim, Norway;
a walrus Ivory carving from the V&A; 10/11th C. Ostfold, Norway
gold spur). The Early Medieval period: Bayeaux Tapestry examples;
St. Olav Statue from Norway; 11th C. Shoe Soles from Oslo;
Silk shoe offcut from Trondheim, Norway; Various shoes from
Trondheim, Oslo, Lund, Uppsala, and Bergen. The later Medieval
Period: illustration of a Polish Shoemaker's workshop; a woodblock
of St. Crispin and St. Crispianus making shoes from Paris; the
Mendel Hausbuch shoemaker illustration; various other paintings;
poulaines from Stockholm and Switzerland; a colour illumination
from Germany of the King of Sweden and Duke of Mecklenburg;
various church paintings and a sculpture from Sweden; views
of a bishop's platform shoes, boots, an unusual patten and top
piece; Leather overshoe, footwear with decorative cut-outs;
a shoe with a net upper. Ankle shoes, square and ear toed shoes,
buckle ankle shoe, cowmouth shoes, an Illustration from Maximillian's
Triumph showing shoe sellers carrying 50 pairs; Gustav Vasa and
other nobles in colour, a highly embroidered shoe in colour,
sailor's shoes by Goubitz from a shipwreck; slip on shoes, an
embroidered Tartar boot from the Khan (1582); Tartar decorated
bowcase, arrow quiver and boots (1549) illustration; a clog seller
with another high Venetian style chopine at his feet; decorated
tie shoes. After that it passes beyon 1600 at page 101.
There are still quite a bit of primitive shoes later on in the
book, with cuts and cross sections. 15 page bibliography.

Since I have not seen this come up on any of my usual
twenty plus email lists (and I just did a search through
my messages) I thought I might announce it to the reenactor
community.

Master Magnus Malleus, OL © 2001 R.M. Howe
*No reposting my writings to newsgroups, especially rec.org.sca, or
the SCA-Universitas elist. I view this as violating copyright
restrictions. As long as it's to reenactor or SCA -closed- subscriber
based email lists or individuals I don't mind. It's meant to
help people without aggravating me.* Inclusion, in the
http://www.Florilegium.org/ as always is permitted.