[MR] Make a Medieval Lathe Article / Arrows against Armour

rmhowe MMagnusM at bellsouth.net
Fri Dec 21 13:37:17 PST 2001

The current issue of Woodwork, A Magazine for All Woodworkers #73 -
Feb. 2002 has an article on Robin Wood of UK Medieval woodturning
fame (he does the stuff full time) visiting a woodturning
demonstration in Germany with a bagful of tools and producing
a pole lathe out of a mostly 10" by 6' oak trunk.
http://www.robin-wood.co.uk/  There is a subsequent article on
making hooked gouges to turn with by him.

The Robin Wood articles run from page 24 to page 31 so it's larger
than most. There is also an article in the magazine on Rumanian spoon
carving and one that contains some gothic carving including
a pretty gothic chest picture.

The only things in the photos that seem to be missing in
explanation is the spring pole and there is no indication of
the construction of the cord wound mandrel which he is using to
turn the bowls with. Such things are covered in the York Book
on Woodworking Crafts available from the York Archaeological
Trust.

Morris, Carole A.: Craft, Industry and Everyday Life: Wood
and Woodworking in Anglo-Scandinavian and Medieval York:
The Archaeology of York - The Small Finds Series 17/13, 2000,
app. 400pp, 225 illus., (Council for British Archaeology, Bowes
Morrell House, 111 Walmgate, York, Y01 9WA), pb, ISBN 1902771109,
Printed by Henry Ling Ltd. The Dorset Press, Dorchester, Dorset.
Has a lot of information on medieval turning. Depicts woodworking
tools and techniques, the craft of lathe turning, vessels, and
resultant waste; coopered vessels; domestic equipment and
utensils; boxes and enclosed containers; furniture bits;
personal items; manual and agricultural implements; textile
implements; implements used for non woodworking crafts and
activities; games and passtimes; building bits and fragments;
pegs and miscellaneous implements; 2 saddle bows; and a willow
shoe last; with a large bibliography and a small glossary.
York Archaeological Trust, to C. Kyriacou at Cromwell House,
13 Ogleforth, York, YO1 7FG.
(We accept Mastercard and Visa. We now have an on-line order
form (which can also be printed/faxed). For further information
contact YAT by telephone (01904 663000), fax (01904 663024) or
e-mail (postmaster at yorkarch.demon.co.uk).
York Series: (AY)
http://www.yorkarchaeology.co.uk/index.htm

Woodwork No. 73
ISSN # 1045-3040

Woodwork Magazine  woodwork at rossperiodicals.com
(415) 382-0580
P.O. Box 1529, Ross, CA 94957
(published by Ross Periodicals, Inc.
42 Digital Drive #5, Novato CA 94949)
    No website as of yet.
The current issue of:
Primitive Archer, Spring 2002, contains an article on Agincourt,
largely illustrated with Museum Replicas equipment and the
interesting third installment of the Old English War Bow in
which tests are conducted with medieval archery replicas against a
modern mild steel breastplate at Warwick Castle which ended up
looking very much like Swiss Cheese. The archer was shooting
up to 150 lb bows and half inch thick arrows drawn to 30" although
a lighter bow and arrow accomplished a similar result.

Primitive Archer Magazine
P. O. Box 79306, Houston, TX 77279-9306
www.primitivearcher.com - info at primitive archer.com

As the wonderful 7 year old Instinctive Archer magazine was
recently killed off by the bad economy I suggest you primitive
archery enthusiasts get busy and subscribe before everything
period you'd like to read about archery is either a yearly
from England - Journal of the Archer Antiquaries Society,
or in German from the only others printed in Germany and Austria.
Master Magnus Malleus, OL, Atlantia, GDH © 2001 R.M. Howe
*No reposting my writings to newsgroups, especially rec.org.sca, or
the SCA-Universitas elist. I view this as violating copyright
restrictions. As long as it's to reenactor or SCA -closed- subscriber
based email lists or individuals I don't mind. It's meant to
help people without aggravating me.* Inclusion, in the
http://www.Florilegium.org/ as always is permitted.