[MR] Setting Dye With Vinegar

Tricia Donadio ldy_padraiga at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 19 11:05:25 PST 2001

Here are some instructions I've used with great success:
(From SewingCentral.com)

Caring for your Silk (although it works with most other natural fabrics)
Many of these colors will benefit from additional treatment before
prewashing. Soak the silk for 2 hours in as much of the following mixture as
is required to cover the silk completely.

Red, pink, and black
2 gallons cold water
1 cup salt

Yellow, tan and brown
2 gallons cold water
1 cup vinegar

Blue, green and lavender
1 gallon cold water
1 ounce alum

Then prewash and dry your fabric. I recommend machine wash delicate cold,
tumble dry low heat. If you cannot control the speed of your washer or heat
of your dryer, please hand wash and hang to dry. Deep colors will run a lot
and fade more. If you intend to sew a light color to a rich color, please
make sure the fabric is no longer crocking dye before constructing the
garment. Test this by taking a small piece of the fabric and placing it in
microwave safe bowl or cup, covering the silk with water. Microwave until
the water boils. If the dye crocks, prewash the fabric again. Red is the
worst about crocking.

Good luck!
Padraiga