[MR] Setting Dye With Vinegar

Gypsy Bast gypsy_bast at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 19 09:10:26 PST 2001

Good Afternoon...

>What's an effective vinegar-to-water ratio?

1 cup white distilled vinegar to 1 gallon water...a little more vinegar
won't hurt.

>Also, should the water be hot or cold?

Definately COLD water!!

>Finally, how long should it soak?

Let it soak for 1 hour, then wring it out by hand & let it air/drip dry.
Then wash per usual once dry.  I prefer to wash in cold water & air dry in
dryer (no heat).  Sometimes the dye will bleed during the soaking, but don't
worry...that's usually all it will fade.  But wash it by itself afterwards
to keep what dye is still loose from coloring your other fabrics.

I do this will all my new fabrics and find it to be very effective.  I have
garb that is several years old but still appear new because of the color
fasting process.  I hope this helps.  Enjoy!

In Service to the Dream;
Lady Bast