[MR] a youth fighter program for atlantia

Dave Montuori damont at wolfstar.com
Wed Dec 5 14:04:48 PST 2001

> Hello, everyone, I'm currently working on an english paper dealing with
> minor combat policies in atlantia.  The paper is a proposal paper, and
> I am trying to determine a list of general rules that should be used for
> youth combat.  I would be very interested in hearing people's thoughts
> on this subject.  Particularly in areas of age.  At what age should a
> combat program begin? end?

I can see the program beginning as early as six years of age, if the
weapons and armor requirements are adjusted accordingly. The etiquette
requirements should not need to change, though the method of instruction
and enforcement might.

The program should run through the participant's 18th birthday.

> Should sixteen and seventeed year olds still be allowed to
> participate in adult combat? (I say this because I'm sixteen and am
> authorized in rapier and working on heavy fighting)

For heavy fighting: practice yes, tournaments/wars no. For rapier, go with
whatever guidelines seem best (there may be case law regarding adult/minor
interaction in Olumpic style fencing, for example).

I heartily encourage you to contact the folks who run youth combat in the
East Kingdom (from whom my son holds an authorization). They've got a good
thing going there.

Just my half groat,
Evan