[Archers] Blog Presentation on Period Target Archery Arrows

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford mallardlodge1000 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 13 05:57:06 PDT 2021

Noble Friends of the Bow,

Due to technical problems, I was not able to present my University of
Atlantia class, "Arrows for the New SCA Period Target Archery Rules". I
have been asked to complete the class as a Zoom video for a video archive
Lady Sophie the Orange is building. The video class will be finished after
we port all of our stuff from this machine to a new Mac next week.

In the meantime, I have adapted my script to a blog format, retaining most
of the slides. You can view this at
https://mallardlodgehousehold.blogspot.com . This is not a class in arrow
building. It is a class about the period archery rules, with ideas on how
to build arrows that satisfy those rules. Included are several period
paintings showing arrows, and a gallery of my own arrows illustrating
different approaches to period arrows.

My older class handout with the actual building techniques is archived at
http://isenfir.atlantia.sca.org/artsandsciences/artsandsciences.php . It
will be revised this summer to reflect what I have learned from the current
project.

I hope you will take time to visit the blog site, and will enjoy and learn
from the presentation. I also urge all period archers, TA marshals, and TA
MITs to read the Society period target archery rules at
sca.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/01target_archery_rules.pdf .

Yours Aye,

Lord Mungo Napier, Shire of Isenfor TA Marshal  🦆