[Archers] Answer on the Vermil Period Nock Question

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford mallardlodge1000 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 28 09:16:34 PST 2019

Baron Naran and Friends,

I too have some of the 3Rivers hardwood nocks, but haven't used them yet. I
though they might be close to the applied nock in the famous portrait of
the Bastard of Burgundy, and I've always wanted to duplicate the arrow he's
holding. I may stain mine, and certainly they will get several coats of
polyurethane to seal them up.

I have been using the Vermil Steppe nocks for about three years on nearly
all of my arrows, which are more-or-less period-style. Obviously, these
aren't going to be allowed in a period shoot. Instead I built a set of
self-nocked, whipped arrows with hand cut burnt-orange peacock feathers
(peacocks have orangish feathers on their first molt). I've been saving
these arrows for the period shoot at WoW next fall, and will be happy to
show them off to anyone who would like to ogle them. They're really too
nice to shoot, but that's why I made them, and I can always build more. And
yes, I've read somewhere that peacock and peahen feathers were occasionally
used on arrows in late middle ages England. Though I understand pea foul
doesn't taste good, and is an unusually tough bird, they were a high-status
banquet item. The feathers didn't go to waste.

Yours Aye,

Mungo Napier, Laird of Mallard Lodge  🦆