[Archers] Loaner Equipment

Garth Groff or Sally Sanford sarahsan at embarqmail.com
Sun Nov 5 12:36:31 PST 2017

Noble Friends of the Bow,

This message may cost me some friends, but it is something that needs to
be said, and something that should be read by every target archery
marshal and MIT in Atlantia. I am speaking about the deplorable
condition of our target archery loaner gear. Too much of it is an
embarrassment to our local groups, and even worse, an insult to our guests.

Yes, our guests. Keep in mind that everybody who comes to your range is
a guest, and should be treated with all possible respect and courtesy.
Respect and courtesy include issuing them loaner gear that is in good
condition and safe to use. Anything less is an insult. This goes double
for newcomers, who often have early contact with us through a local
archery practice or at their first tournament.

If your guests don’t have a good time, particularly if they feel they
failed at archery because of poor-quality loaner equipment, they won’t
be back. That means they won’t be back to your range, but they are also
unlikely to come back to your group for other activities, or to any
other SCA group. If they feel particularly offended, they will tell
others about their negative experience for years. Friends, we need happy
new Atlantian archers, not bad PR.

The first way we fail our guests is a systemic problem in the way we
fund archery on a shoestring. Many groups have loaner equipment that is
ancient, and is likely scratched, dinged, faded, shopworn, or otherwise
extremely trashy. Our guests aren’t stupid, and can see that what we
offer them is from the bottom of the barrel. Sadly, even if you replace
old bows, what you buy is likely to be more of the same--fiberglass
youth bows. If a guest compares even new bows of this type to the nice
composite recurves or longbows many of us shoot, they still may feel
slighted and think, “Oh, I see how it works. You give us the junk [or
the cheap toys] and keep the good stuff for yourselves. I’m not hanging
around with you bums.”

Yet replacing old bows is something that must be done. If you have
30-year old Bears, Stemmlers, or Ben Pearson Jet Bows, you’ve gotten
your money’s worth from them. A big obstacle to replacement may be your
populace or officers, some of whom are likely to ask, “Can the bows
still be shot?” When you answer “yes”, they will counter, “Then why
should be replace them?” The answer must be, “Our archery loaner kit is
one of our best recruiting tools. This equipment is an insult to our
guests. If you want new members, please approve my request for new
gear.” Write this statement down. Make it your mantra, and repeat the
same words over and over again in an even tone to every objection.
Hopefully, they will eventually cave.

The second problem is that much of our equipment is filthy, and hasn’t
been cleaned for years, if ever. If you were invited to dinner and
served on dirty plates, you would offended, and rightly so. Is it any
different if we give our archery guests gear that is covered in dirt,
hand grease, and old bow wax? No! Sadly, we often make this worse by
storing our loaner gear in places filled with dust, such as garages, old
sheds, and worst of all, barns. Even if barns haven’t held animals for
years, they are still filled with dust from ground up and dried animal
feces that constantly rains down from the rafters. This is not only
gross, but potentially dangerous to guests with allergies and other
health issues.

The solution, other than storage someplace inside your house, is that
bows should be cleaned at least once a year. One possibility is to hold
a “field day” during the slack time in. Gather up fellow marshals, press
gang some volunteers, and be sure to include your MITs(we don’t teach
them anything about equipment maintenance in our training program, and
this should be worth a signature on their form). Lay in a supply of soft
drinks and order some pizzas and make the work session a fun social time.

The bows should have their strings removed for close inspection and
re-waxing. Bows themselves should be cleaned with a towel dipped in a
bucket of warm (not hot) soapy water, and rinsed with clean water and
another towel. Wooden bows should be dried off immediately. Use this
opportunity to do a thorough inspection, and after restringing, adjust
the brace height and nock point position.

ARROWS SHOULD BE CLEANED AND INSPECTED AFTER EACH TIME THEY ARE ISSUED,
AND BEFORE THEY ARE USED AGAIN. Give a newcomer a dozen arrows, and I
can almost guarantee that every one of them will have been grounded by
the end of the day. Clean your arrows with a moist paper towel or cloth,
skipping the fletching. Be sure to clean out the nocks. No guest should
have to pick dried mud out of a nock before they shoot. Squirt some
inexpensive furniture oil onto a paper towel and rub it onto the points
to prevent rust. Any arrows that are damaged, including those with
chunks of fletches missing, should go to the shop before being reissued.
Any arrows damaged beyond repair should be destroyed or converted to
some other use (such as line markers).

Finally, we too often give out equipment this is broken in some way. I’m
mostly talking about arrows here, since we do a pretty good job
inspecting bows. Most of our loaner arrows are in short sets, either
through loss or damage, or because they were donated by some archer who
didn’t want them anymore. Sadly at tournaments, guests are often given
just six arrows (frequently mixed from the remains of several sets).
This is insulting, since guests can see they are getting leftovers. At
many tournaments there are a few targets that require eight or nine
arrows to complete. How can we expect guests to feel satisfied if we
don’t give them enough arrows to compete? We’re telling them we want
them to participate, but not fully.

Arrows should never be lacking fletches or points. These arrows won’t
fly right, and pointless arrows will likely bounce off the target if
they do get that far. This is only going to frustrate our guests. It
also shows them we don’t care enough to give them equipment in working
condition.

No guest should start the day with less or more than 12 arrows in their
quiver. Why 12? When everyone starts with 12, it’s easy to keep track of
how many they have shot, or how many are still in the grass.
Additionally, no guest is likely to feel that they were shorted.

When a marshal makes a new set for their loaner kit, it should have 15
arrows rather than 12. Keep the extras at home. If a guest breaks or
loses arrows, it is easy to replace them before the set is used again.
When the total falls to 12 arrows (or less) it is time to build more
replacements. New sets added to our loaner kit are no longer colored or
crested. This saves production time both with the new set and with any
replacements. Of course, they are still sealed with three coats of
polyurethane, just like my personal arrows. Replacements for older
“pretty” arrows still get staining, but I often skip the cresting.

After all this carping, let me offer you a couple of positive ideas that
will impress our guests. At a local practice, never offer guests a used
bullseye target. Start with a fresh target every time. They only cost a
buck or so. However, you might want to reuse a homemade novelty target
if not too badly shredded. You could say something like, “We used this
target at our last tournament, and it was so much fun I saved it for you
to shoot.” This turns a potential insult into a thoughtful gift.

Finally, keep a clean cloth with your loaner kit. After stringing a bow,
but before handing it to the guest, take a moment to wipe off any bow
wax, especially on the upper limb where the string has just slid into
its slots. With recurves, remember to also clean the limbs where string
slap has deposited more bow wax. For few seconds of extra effort, you
will show your guests you really do care about giving them nice
equipment. It could be the gesture that impresses them into coming back.

We simply can’t afford to chase these newcomers away. Do everything you
can to make them feel that the SCA is going the extra mile so they can
have a good time. In the film MRS. BROWN, Prime Minister Disraeli says
to the ghillie John Brown, “With queens you have to lay it on with a
trowel.” That’s good advice for us too.

Yours Aye,

Mungo Napier, Laird of Mallard Lodge