[Archers] Winter Gear Service

Garth Groff sarahsan at embarqmail.com
Wed Jan 11 05:42:05 PST 2017

Noble Friends of the Bow,

Lady Sarah Sinclair and I are winding up inspection, servicing and
cleaning of Isenfir's loaner kit, as well as our privately-owned loaner
equipment.

I inspected all the arrows, making repairs to several that had damaged
fletches. All were cleaned to remove dirt, and the points and shafts
were conditioned with furniture oil. Had any of the sets been short, I
would have made replacements. Over the last couple of years I brought
all our sets up to 14 or 15 arrows. It's easy to make a couple extras
when you build some replacements.

We worked together on the bows, inspecting them all, waxing the strings
(with special attention to the upper loops, the most common wear point),
adjusting brace height, adjusting arrow nock indicators, and doing any
needed cleaning (including removing string wax from the limbs and
grips). We have ten more bows to go, an afternoon's work, before we will
be ready for our next practice on 22 January.

This is a perfect time for those of you who are loaner gear stewards to
get your equipment into top shape. We should give our guests equipment
that is at least close to what we ourselves use. Our guests may not know
much about archery, but they certainly can compare inadequate loaner
gear with the "good stuff" the regulars are shooting. Issuing guests
unadjusted, broken, dirty or unsafe gear an only an insult, it can be
dangerous. As hosts and representatives of the Atlantia and the SCA, we
must do better for our guests.

For those of you mentoring marshals-in-training, a gear inspection and
servicing session is great training in skills we too often forget to
teach the next generation of marshals. Thank them for their work with a
pizza.

I urge you all to give seroius attention to your loaner equipment now
during the slack time.

Hoping to see you all on the range soon!

Mungo Napier, Shire of Isenfir TA Marshal-in-Charge