[Archers] royal rounds

john atkins houseofgrey at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 7 09:05:47 PST 2017

 Well said Baroness and Cam Cam Cam Cammy Cam. ( :-) ) . My two ducats input.......
When I lived in NC I lived on 4 1/2 acres and hosted archery practice every Sunday weather permitting. At one point there were 12 archers and about 7 other folks just hanging out. Archery in Sacred Stone was the prime entrance point for new folks. Like many here, I grew bored of shooting RRs but I continued. At each practice I would ask those who attended if they wanted to shoot RRs after a warm up time. Often they did. I think most felt as I did, RRs were a way to compare how I was shooting with other Atlantian archers I seldom was able to shoot with due to distance. But RRs also allow us archers to compare our archery skills with archers throughout the Known World. And I think that is kinda fun.
Now I live in Meridies and in a "normal" neighborhood. Thus shooting in my yard becomes problematic as my neighbors have a dim view of overshoots flying through their yards. Thus I have joined a rod and gun club that has an archery range. Being who I am, I invited my fellow shire archers to come out to archery practices with me. We typically do some general warm up practice shooting then shoot an RR or 3 depending upon interest from those in attendance. As such, members of my shire are now showing up on the Meridian RR database. The real beauty of this for me is that my fellow shire mates are getting very excited about their scores and moving up on the list. They are also being called up in royal courts to receive their appropriate colored tassel for their current ranking (Meridies uses tassels instead of medallions for rankings).
I also relate to the point made by the Baroness about comparing ourself with others. I have a personal goal of having the position of 1 and 2 in the Meridian RR db. 1 for longbow, 2 for recurve (currently I'm 2 longbow and 4 recurve). I know the archer who is in first place and like him as he is a great person. This competition is all in fun and, I believe, represents what RR scores are really all about.
Cam made the point of shooting with different bow types. Grimm set a goal for himself of getting the GBE with several bow types. He made his goal. Congrats to Grimm. For those of us who are mildly bored with RRs setting goals like this adds spice to the shooting.
Having said all this, there is a fact of this aspect of the SCA archery. None of us will ever get very good is all we shoot is RRs. I have purposely shot at unknown distances and from unusual positions, standing on a log round, kneeling, or around objects for the purpose of forcing myself to improve in these unusual conditions. My personal experience has been that after shooting these unusual conditions when I go back to shooting RRs my scores improve. Thus there is room for both, novelty shoots and RRs at events.
However, how the range is set and preparedness of the marshal running archery at an event is entirely dependent upon the marshal. Some MIC events with many targets which can be quickly and easily replaced, plan prize shoots, provide for novelty shoots and RRs, i.e. score sheets, timers, etc. When I was in Sacred Stone MICing archery at many events attended by many non Sacred Stone archers it was made known to me that many groups simply do not have the facilities to conduct RRs. For this reason I personally believe events should be able to provide the shooting of RRs. Times can be announced so that RRs do not consume the entire day of shooting for those bored with RRs. It can be worked out but requires planing and thinking ahead.
So my inputs to this issue.
Baron CoGNow a Meridian but former Atlantia