[Archers] Heads up

john atkins houseofgrey at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 14 05:11:31 PDT 2016

I made this post before but never saw it in my inbox. If this is a repeat, sorry.
A few weeks back at a Meridian event called Tourny of the Foxes an issue occurred that I believe is a heads up to all archery marshals. The MIC for target archery had provided bow racks that held the bows horizontally, suspended between two pegs. Good racks, nice job. However the weather at this event was extremely hot and sunny and the bow racks were in the sun. One individual had put his bow on the rack and stepped out of a couple of ends to rest. His bow had passed inspection by myself several times and at the event. However, when he picked up his bow and shot the next end, as he finished, he commented that his bow felt "funny". Upon inspection it was noticed that there was a hair line crack on the face of the bow near the riser and that the upper limb was becoming delaminated causing a severe bend in the limb. In short, by leaving his bow in the bow rack in the sun then using the bow it broke. Upon this discovery the bow racks were moved into the shade.
As we are in very hot weather I caution all marshals to place your bow racks in shady areas.
cog