[Archers] Custom Target Advice

Rick Ferrell marylandgreenman at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 17:48:38 PDT 2016

Noble friends of the bow,

It has been a quiet year for my bows sadly (except for some nice Combat
Archery).  However, a light on the horizon is that next month I will be
helping our good Baron and Baroness select my replacement as Baronial
Archer Champion of Highland Foorde.

To this end, I have a theme in mind and don't mind working on the targets
but I beg your advice and suggestions:   I have never actually painted
archery targets.  While I have some modicum of artistic skill (enough to
only be mildly embarrassed) I am not certain of the actual logistics
involved.   I understand I will need a large target backdrop or, if that
isn't possible with one month's notice, I may need to use individual
bales/butts which we have a few of.  I am aware of the cardboard layered
ones but welcome advice on how to maximize those safely and efficiently.

The pattern I have in mind is much like some of the targets I've seen at On
Target and Royal Archery shoots, basically a 3'X5" board.  We do have a
wonderful huge archery backdrop net that is about 6 feet high and easily 15
feel long ("The Green Monster" as I call it in honor of the stadium of the
same nickname) and a ludicrously clear backfield so the main concern is
really just where do you get the huge rolls of paper and is there a certain
kind best used for a day's shooting for 15 or so people?

The target I have in mind is a scattering of our Highland Foorde award
animals (Lark, Golden Hawk, Hart) as well as a few Stars in the "sky" above
them.   And of course the main target images on this
paper will be various natural predators which are trying to attack our
Baronial animals!  Negative points for hitting our noble animals, positive
points for the mean old bear, fox, mountain lion, etc.

Anyway, advice welcomed and with the fact I basically only have about three
weekends to make these things!   Many thanks for all your help good archers!

P.S. - Baron Fergus already knows about this, I just figured many minds are
better than just two.   :)

Lord Rycherd of Caistron
Baronial Archer Champion of Highland Foorde