[Archers] Fall Monster Mash Targets

Garth Groff sarahsan at embarqmail.com
Wed Sep 7 10:59:58 PDT 2016

Noble Friends of the Bow:

It is that time again, the selling frenzy that leads to Halloween! This
is the best time of the year to pick up targets featuring monsters, evil
creatures of the night, the undead, and other nightmares. I have a
pretty good supply of target art already, if pretty is an appropriate
word here. Still, I'm always on the hunt for new stuff.

Today I dropped in at both Charlottesville's Dollar Tree stores, the
real bargain place for this stuff. This year they are featuring jointed
cardstock figures that are 5 feet tall. Besides the usual skeletons,
they have male and female vampires, Death, and a very fearsome mummy.
Just mount these with spray glue on a few layers of heavy cardboard, or
tack them to some archery foam, and you have instant enemies to shoot.
I'm not sure how effective arrows are against the undead though. These
figures are large enough to be easily seen at 20 yards or more for adult
shooting (think advancing man . . . er . . . monster), and would make
excellent targets at closer distances for a children's range.

Another new item this year is a thin mylar door covering of a huge
monster face that is mostly mouth. This could easily be mounted on
appliance-sized cardboard and would make an excellent target for adult
distances, maybe even at 50 yards. There were many more of these with
other monsters, most in window size, but I passed on them. Maybe later.

There were some nice life-sized styrofoam blackbirds in two poses that
might make a fun shoot. If I can score a full-sized styrofoam skull,
these birds could substitute for an apple in a macabre William Tell
shoot. The problem is that full-sized skulls cost around $10-12, which
is not exactly within my budget. I might have to just use a regular wig
head, which sells for around $4 at a beauty supply store, or at a yard
sale for far less.

Dollar Tree also had some soft spiders nearly 10 inches across that
would make good targets. Consider putting several on one target face.
Their smaller spiders were either too rubbery and would cause
bounce-offs, or were too hard and would probably shatter if hit.
Besides, the small spiders are probably too small to make good targets.

I also found a few 15 x 18-inch gummed clings left over from several
years ago, and bought most of them. I scored a Death, Frankie, and
several of Drac. These are really good for children at 8-10 yards
because they are rather cartoonish, feature bright colors in distinctive
blocks with good color separation, have little shading, and are on a
white background. They are much more visible than something that is more
realistic and features lots of shaded dark tones. I leave the backing
paper on when I use these.

One thing to keep in mind when buying this stuff is how visible it will
be on the range. Detail drops out badly beyond 10 yards, and the darker
the image, the more difficult (read frustrating) it is to shoot. Go for
the largest images you can find, and those that have simple lines and
good contrast. For that reason, I passed on some smaller (but very cool)
clings of rats coming out of sewer, and avoided the large clings with
ghostly figures that are supposed to look like an image in a dirty
mirror. Nice at five to ten feet, but just a blurred mess at ten yards
or more.

There are a lot of other places to look for low-priced targets. Dollar
General and Family Dollar stores sometimes have some goodies. The pop-up
Halloween stores might have something worthwhile, but expect them to be
high priced until the last day. And speaking of last days, Dollar Tree
just boxes this stuff after they close on Halloween night and saves the
remnants for the next year. There's no clearance sale at Dollar Tree,
though DG and FD do offer markdowns.

You can probably get some neat stuff online at Amazon or party stores,
but shop carefully. I got my mylar "knight roll" wall decoration that
we've been cutting up into individual figures from a party store for a
fair price, but it was half that on Amazon (Lady Sarah used these last
year for the (K)night Shoot at WoW, and I used them for the war point on
the children's range). When I went back to Amazon to order, the item had
disappeared.

Yours Aye,

Mungo