[Archers] Old Bows Cracking

Garth Groff sarahsan at embarqmail.com
Sun Sep 27 16:53:31 PDT 2015

Noble Friends of the Bow,

While looking for "you-finish" bows I ran across this web page:
http://www.ebay.com/gds/Care-of-Vintage-Recure-Bows-and-evaluating-an-old-bow-/10000000177347125/g.html
. There is a lot of sound advice here, but one paragraph about cracks
especially caught my attention, and I thought I would throw it out for
general discussion.

"Often an old recurve bow will have small cracks or crazing in the
finish. These little cracks might be in the handle area or on the limbs
especially where the limbs bend the most- the "working part" of the
limb- they run across the limb not in line with the limb. Usually these
type cracks are not really a problem other than cosmetic- they are
simply small fractures in the clear coat finish and not into the limb
itself. Similarly some bows, especially very short bows, might have
"stress lines" which can be in the handle grip area but usually in the
limbs near the handle and they run in line with the limbs. Stress lines
or stress cracks can go deeper but they also don't usually cause a
problem except  cosmetically. Cracks in the tips of a bow or within the
edge or laminations of a limb are a different matter and can be a sign
of a bow ready to break. Any deeper crack running or starting to run
across a limb is a warning of near future failure and probably that bow
should not be strung."

I have seen these fine parallel horizontal cracks across the limbs and
just above or below the grips and thought they were an underlying
defect. I retired my old Ben Pearson recurve because of a system of
cracks like this. This author claims they are surface cracks in the
finish. Comments?

The longitudinal cracks, what he calls "stress cracks", are quite common
on old bows. I have watched them carefully on a couple of bows, but
couldn't see any movement or growth, and they passed the "pinch test". I
generally regarded these as shrinkage cracks. Fiberglass is always
changing with age, and actually remains fluid for years, just like
paint. His observation here is a relief and a vindication. OTOH, I have
seen longitudinal cracks that have grown as the bow was used. A few
years ago I spotted one on a new bow in someone's loaner kit that grew
about 1/4" in one day of use. Comments.

His observations about cracks in limb ends, or along limb edges are
sound. I've always believed these were dangerous. No surprises here.

I recommend reading the full article (it only takes about five minutes).
There is some really good stuff here. This might be a very good training
resource for MITs.

Yours Aye,

Mungo