[Archers] Leather conditioning wax

Garth Groff sarahsan at embarqmail.com
Sat Sep 6 01:58:15 PDT 2014

M'Lady Esa, Greetings.

I'm not familiar with this preparation, but it sounds like it would work
just fine. In period such dressings might have been heated beeswax and
tallow, which was used to seal arrows. Sounds like it would remain
sticky and might attract bugs, doesn't it? I hope your preparation is a
vast improvement.

Armor All makes several products for treating leather, and I have used
their liquid on arm guards and archery gloves:
http://www.armorall.com/product-types/leather/ . This stuff isn't
period, but you do get that neat Viking guy for a spokesman. :~) I think
this winter when things are slow, it will be time to treat all our
archery leathers again.

Sad to say, your quiver will get banged up someday. Just like your
arrows, it will have a finite life and is going to look scruffy someday
(let's hope that's a long time coming). OTOH, scruffy was probably
typical of such gear in period. That's no reason not to take good care
of it in the meantime.

Yours Aye,

Lord Mungo Napier, The Archer of Mallard Lodge