[Archers] Early Crossbow with Stock

Garth Groff sarahsan at embarqmail.com
Wed Jun 18 01:47:52 PDT 2014

M'Lord Siegfried and Friends,

Thanks very much for the comments.

So now, lets shift this discussion a bit. Our rules also prohibit
"non-period trackless crossbows". While I haven't searched these
diligently, all the images and photos I've seen are from the 17th
century or later. You can bet the Chinese had them long before this,
since they seem to have been ahead of the curve in all sorts of ranged
weaponry (I found a drawing of a period compound bow, but our rules are
clear on compounds).

All the 17th and 18th century trackless crossbows I've found in images
are "stone bows", essentially big slingshots used to throw clay pellets
or similar ammunition at small game. This, of course, makes them useless
for our type of archery. The 20th/21st century adaptations I've seen
remove the slingshot-style pocket, and substitute a plain string for
(apparently) bolts with large-sized nocks. If we could find a pre-17th
century example of one of these bows adapted for bolts, could it serve
as a prototype for a legal weapon, or are they prohibited as a class for
some safety reason?

Yours Aye,

Mungo