[Archers] Early Crossbow with Stock

Siegfried siegfried at crossbows.biz
Tue Jun 17 18:07:46 PDT 2014

Lord Mungo, if you'd only asked, I have dozens of photos of 'period
rifle stocked crossbows' that I could have provided.  That being one of
them.

But as Janyn pointed out.  They are of course legal.   The Atlantian ban
is on the 'modern' rifle stocks.  That stock looks nothing like a modern
Remington (especially when you examine the stock in all dimensions ...
That photo doesn't quite do it justice, for it appears to show a 'thin'
back end.  When you actually look at it though, the back is VERY stocky,
and of a triangle design.  Sloped towards the cheek of the user.)

On 6/17/14, 5:04 PM, Garth Groff wrote:
> Noble Friends,
>
> After some searching I finally turned up an in-period crossbow with a
> rifle stock, at least a nascent one:
> http://www.metmuseum.org/collection/the-collection-online/search/22397?rpp=30&pg=1&ft=crossbow&pos=10
> . As you can see, this is in the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and they
> have dated it to 1570-1600.
>
> Now here's the question: Is this SCA legal? The rule says, "No /modern/
> rifle or air rifle stocks or pistol grips." I believe because of the
> inclusion of the word "modern" in the rule, a crossbow of this type
> would be perfectly legal. Comments?
>
> Now the problem is to find one like this. :~)
>
> Yours Aye,
>

> Lord Mungo Napier, Shire of Isenfir TA Marshal

Barun Siegfried Sebastian Faust, OP - Baron Highland Foorde - Atlantia