[Archers] questionable string

Jay Nardone jaynardone at comcast.net
Sun Nov 17 10:42:33 PST 2013

Good afternoon everyone, I love when our marshal's communicate with me and
more so each other. Manus sent me a question and this picture of a bow with
a string they questioned and ultimately failed. I wanted to share this with
everyone because it is a good learning opportunity. Our rules don't have any
verbiage about this type of crimp so I thought it would be a good chance to
discuss this here.

In talking with Manus, I agreed they made the right decision by failing the
bow. Those crimps are iffy and can slip easily. Also if you look closer that
is not even a correct bow string. It looks like the nylon that bow stringers
are made from and those materials are nowhere near as strong as B50 or Fast
flight materials and should never be allowed. We rejected a few bows this
year at Pennsic that had these same type of strings. None of us will ever be
able to predict how long a sting of nylon would last? I realize this is
obviously not a high poundage bow, but it was the correct choice to make.