[Archers] Minors and archery

Jay Nardone jaynardone at comcast.net
Sat Nov 16 10:53:22 PST 2013

Good afternoon everyone, I have been getting some questions about the
changes to the minors age and I wanted to take a minute to explain. I
realize also I will need to do another update to the handbook and our
teaching materials to further explain this. As I stated earlier, the recent
changes directed by the Kingdom Seneschal and our laws now deem anyone under
18 as a minor. Our old rules stated that anyone under the age of 14 on the
archery range required a parent or legal guardian to be present with them at
all times on the range. If they are older than 14, the parent or guardian
had to be present on site. As far as I am concerned this still has not
changed. The difference for all of us is in the way minors are processed by
the troll and recorded at the event. At most of our practices, we don't have
a troll so this will fall to you as the MIC for the practice. I will stress
again to please make sure if you have minors present, and they are not with
their parents, the guardian has the paperwork completed as required for
them. Also please don't put yourself in a situation where you are alone with
a minor, it is important to protect yourselves and the SCA. So if you are an
MIC at an event, it is not your concern about the minor as they should have
already been taken care of at Troll, it is your responsibility at the
archery range to assure their guardian or parents are present if they are 14
and younger or on site if 15-18.

I hope this clears this up